HELP - Adoptied a 12 year old stray, vet said probably doesnt have worms

mimi buzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Hi- Just found and joined this forum. I need help. I adoptied a 12 year old stray, vet said probably doesn't have worms but I just found a worm that had fallen out of her butt. I'm grossed out and since it's Sunday can't go back to the vet until tomorrow.  Anything I can do right now?

Everything is going pretty good with the rest. She was living at a deserted house for a year or more but recently they started rehabing the house and she started ranging out and begging for food.  I finally captured her and took her to the vet, she does have a thyroid problem but just needs medicine for that. He cleared her to be near my cat. After a week of isolation for the newby,only two days since I opened the door to the isolation room my cat other cat, Buzz, is getting used to the idea of another cat. No hissing or hiding today.

MiMi the stray does a lot of meowing - not sure what she wants! Maybe her butt tickles!?

Any ideas as to what to do about the worms and how contagious they are?  What is the treatment? Anything I can get today?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new kitty. I would get worm medication from the vet on Monday. Over the counter remedies aren't so good. Worms are contagious but that simply means you will treat both cats and they'll be fine.

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new kitty. I would get worm medication from the vet on Monday. Over the counter remedies aren't so good. Worms are contagious but that simply means you will treat both cats and they'll be fine.
agreed! she needs another deworming treatment from the vet as soon as possible. i think it's admirable of you to adopt a "senior" cat. congratulations on your new family member!!!

jlc20m

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worms are contagious but that simply means you will treat both cats and they'll be fine.
The  contagion  may  go through  the litter.  Which they prob use the same?    As  said, if you want to be on the safe  side, treat them both.

I presume  this  was the long worm-alike worms? 

Revolution is nowadays  prescription free, dont use OTC medicines  if you dont know for sure they are OK. But if you dont have Revolution to get nearby today,  you can surely wait a couple of days. Nobody will be harmed.

Tx  for helping!

Good luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It almost sounds like a tape worm! That is the only worm that would drop off the anus area. Did it look like a grain of rice? You would also see these dried up segments on the cats bedding which would look like yellowish dried rice. You will need a different de-wormer for the tape worm. It is only one dose too and works immediately. Thanks for rescuing this kitty too. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: