Help! Abandoned Mother Cat

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This evening a very young mother cat showed up at our door, carrying one lone kitten. She literally begged for help.
She is SO friendly!

The kitten is less than a week, no umbilical, eyes shut tight. He appears to be very healthy; no yucky bottom, clean, proper weight/size, no major fussing.
Mother is less than a year, and is underfed. She scarfed down lots of food. I noticed the kitten isn't nursing. She isn't offering, and he isn't asking, no kneading.
Upon closer examination, I checked her teats for milk. She doesn't appear to have any!!
Her milk glands are very small. I massaged a little, like a kitten, hoping that would work.
Is there anything else I can try?
She's a very inexperienced mommy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is the mother. She has a little old blood where she should, and her tummy shows post pregnancy.
Overnight her glad seam to be a little bigger, and she is allowing kitten to search for milk while I'm holding her down.
Kitten acted like he got some, but I'm not sure because there wasn't any on his face, and I wasn't able to get any from her still.
It's like she has the instincts, but doesn't have a clue as to what to do. Sometimes she ignores kitten's cries. Often when she tends to him she rolls over onto him, laying in a nursing position, but on top of him as he's crying.
I have a very busy schedule, and it will be incredibly hard to work bottlefeeding into that schedule. I can make it work, though, I guess.
Should I go ahead and buy some KMR?
Everything's closed where I live at the moment. It would have to be after work, in 6 hours..
But I fear that's too long..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for opening your heart and your home to them, that poor mama must be desperate. I hope there weren't other kittens somewhere. You might walk around your neighbor hood and listen for crying. He will be getting colostrum at first, a 'premilk' before the milk actually comes in. It is concerning she won't feed him, definitely keep them confined in that crate so he is close. Too young mamas often don't have a clue on how to care for newborns, but it usually kicks in later. I think she will settle down after she is less scared and desperate. Give her lots of reassurance when you can, try to have baby nurse while you are petting her. she is so thin ! She needs kitten chow and lots of canned food too to build up her strength. That poor little girl! She is so lucky to have you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes get goats milk or Kmr in powder to be safe.

If you arent sure kitten gets anything you can try to get into him some water with honey or with white caro syrup.
Smear it on lips and gum at least. It will keep him alive for a while
She is the mother. She has a little old blood where she should, and her tummy shows post pregnancy.
Overnight her glad seam to be a little bigger, and she is allowing kitten to search for milk while I'm holding her down.
Kitten acted like he got some, but I'm not sure because there wasn't any on his face, and I wasn't able to get any from her still.
It's like she has the instincts, but doesn't have a clue as to what to do. Sometimes she ignores kitten's cries. Often when she tends to him she rolls over onto him, laying in a nursing position, but on top of him as he's crying.
I have a very busy schedule, and it will be incredibly hard to work bottlefeeding into that schedule. I can make it work, though, I guess.
Should I go ahead and buy some KMR?
Everything's closed where I live at the moment. It would have to be after work, in 6 hours..
But I fear that's too long..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma seems to be diluted tortie. Young and pretty.

Kitten seems to be a point. "Siamese mix"

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing the kitten daily will help you to make sure he is getting enough food.

Are you able to keep mom 100% inside now? Thank you so much for helping her.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful momma cat and cute baby. Thank you so much for helping them. I hope she starts feeding the kitten as she’s getting fed herself. Bless you for taking them in.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miraculous change!!
I decided to wait until after work to get KMR.
Turns out I don't need to! Mommy cat is letting kitten nurse! She's producing some milk!
I don't think it's a whole lot, but he is eating, and content! :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good. Do weigh the kitten daily if it adds 10+ Grammes a day you know everything is good.

If course if you see and feel kotten is visibly growing and thriwing weighting not so necessary.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing daily is highly, highly recommended, even if you feel you can tell without a scale. It's the only way to be sure.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is doing very well! Thanks for your suggestions!
He is crying when he wants something, but is normally very happy. He is strong enough to pull himself around the dog bed he's in.
Mommy is taking better care of him, and seems to know what to do for the most part.
But the mommy is still having a little bleeding going on here and there, post-pregnancy. Is this normal?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think she should be bleeding anymore. The kitten looks to be 10-14 days old, so mom should be mostly recovered. Can you get her to a vet?

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought kittens open eyes at 2 weeks old. He is nowhere near ready to start opening eyes.
The blood is mostly just spotting. I haven't seen much today at all.
I would really prefer not to have to take her to the vet. Is there a way I can handle it? Do y'all want some more pics?
I have a 6wk old puppy I am about to take to vet. It's very expensive..

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might get the powdered KMR regardless. Not for the kitten, but for the mom cat. She needs the extra calories and protein for milk production. I would guess her milk production was limited or shut down due to her malnutrition. Providing her kitten food is good but the KMR will also help. She is not only feeding a kitten, but recovering from malnutrition, Thanks for taking in the cats! Keep us updated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some spotting may occur, but its of course worrying. Be prepared for rushing in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma looks as a russian blue females looks.
But if she is tortie she cant be purebred.