Help!!!! A Member With A Feral Who Is Rejecting Kittens

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@HoosierMama has a feral mama and 5 two day old kittens - it would seem mama will not nurse them. Unfortunately, a 5th one died, and mama had dumped another one of the kittens where she placed the deceased one. The OP returned rejected kitten to nest - and so far as far as she can tell mama has not let any of them near her to nurse. What can be done to help this OP? Should the rejected kitten be removed? What???? Help!!!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in that it is important to keep the kittens warm. Heating pads are a must (or a heat lamp.) Cranking up the heater to 80 F in the kitten room is always a good idea. I found the kittenlady videos on YouTube to be invaluable when I was fostering.

I would take those kittens to the vet, today (and be prepared to foster them all.) If one kitten died, they all may be sick with something that could kill them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@HoosierMama has a feral mama and 5 two day old kittens - it would seem mama will not nurse them. Unfortunately, a 5th one died, and mama had dumped another one of the kittens where she placed the deceased one. The OP returned rejected kitten to nest - and so far as far as she can tell mama has not let any of them near her to nurse. What can be done to help this OP? Should the rejected kitten be removed? What???? Help!!!!
Definitely prepare to bottle feed, round the clock.
Has the mother cat been to the vets? If she has something like mastitis it might be too painful for her to nurse. Is she lactating?
If she's a young cat and or this is her first litter she might just be too young and inexperienced to know what to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen one kitten rejected and I have seen the above situation and to me this sounds like a complete rejection of the whole litter.
Read the other post (the one actually started by the wonderful foster) - unless she gives us all a horrible update, this might not have happened after all.
Still waiting to hear from her...

Feral Mama Cat Rejecting Her Kittens