Help a hopeless cat mom

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, both long haired. One of them is 2.5 years old and the other is 1.5 year old. Got the first one in May 2020 and the other one in April 2021 and both of them were about 3-4 months old at that time. My mom didn't have any allergy by the time i got them and now suddenly when the weather is changing and winter is around the clock, she's having this allergy which includes runny nose, coughing and sometimes headache. The symptoms resemble with sinus. Now, idk if this is because of the cats but it has NEVER happened before. She's always blaming the cats for this and I'm losing my mind. She says either the cats gonna stay or her in the house and there is NO WAY I can send my cats away I love them dearly and I won't be the same without them. PLEASE, can someone help me. How do i get rid of cat dander? How to eliminate cat allergy and the cats can stay with us? 😭😭😭😭

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who's house is it? Maybe it's time one of you got your own place.....If your mom is older (over 50) there are a lot of senior living places out there with reduced rent. I would recommend her taking Benadryl at night before bed. It helps you sleep and works well on allergies. Or insist she goes to the DR. and get an allergy shot if her allergies are that bad. they are much stronger. Is she trying anything at all to reduce her symptoms? If she didn't have these symptoms when you first got the cats, I hate to tell her this, but seasonal allergies get worse as we age. I know many people who never had symptoms and developed them later in life. I am an RN so have treated a lot of people with this. Definitely go the over the counter allergy meds first and then the injection if they don't work. You could get some 'wipe' for cats and try wiping them down every day, that may help. Or allow them only in certain rooms so they don't come in contact with your mom. I know cats can become like your children, so giving them away is NOT an option with many people. iI would move out before that would happen. You have to find a solution that would work. If her symptoms only come up in spring and fall and are manageable the rest of the year, it is NOT the cats, but seasonal allergies. Keep all windows and doors shut during those times. I pray you find a solution.......

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think her first step is a dr appointment to get a blood test to see what is triggering her allergies! I second nightly benadryl & keeping the cats out of her bedroom. If it is the cats, there are steps you can take to reduce dander but it might not be the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think her first step is a dr appointment to get a blood test to see what is triggering her allergies! I second nightly benadryl & keeping the cats out of her bedroom. If it is the cats, there are steps you can take to reduce dander but it might not be the cats.
Does the dander spray work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Who's house is it? Maybe it's time one of you got your own place.....If your mom is older (over 50) there are a lot of senior living places out there with reduced rent. I would recommend her taking Benadryl at night before bed. It helps you sleep and works well on allergies. Or insist she goes to the DR. and get an allergy shot if her allergies are that bad. they are much stronger. Is she trying anything at all to reduce her symptoms? If she didn't have these symptoms when you first got the cats, I hate to tell her this, but seasonal allergies get worse as we age. I know many people who never had symptoms and developed them later in life. I am an RN so have treated a lot of people with this. Definitely go the over the counter allergy meds first and then the injection if they don't work. You could get some 'wipe' for cats and try wiping them down every day, that may help. Or allow them only in certain rooms so they don't come in contact with your mom. I know cats can become like your children, so giving them away is NOT an option with many people. iI would move out before that would happen. You have to find a solution that would work. If her symptoms only come up in spring and fall and are manageable the rest of the year, it is NOT the cats, but seasonal allergies. Keep all windows and doors shut during those times. I pray you find a solution.......
well, non of us can move out of the house because in my country we don't move out after we turn 18 unless we're married or go to a foreign country for studies or job. Well, my dad is a doctor and asks her to take the medicines and she does. It does give relief but then happens again

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The blood test is called IgE until your mom gets the test you have no proof the cats are doing it.

Either way an air filter in her bedroom & nightly benadryl should help. Keeping the cats out of her room helps her believe it helps..... even if she isn’t allergic to your cats. Prescription eye drops for allergies helps me a lot (over the counter didn’t work.) I’m allergic to trees.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your mon is hellbent on needlessly bugging your cats (& I would challange her to prove it is the cats with a blood test first!) they sell dips you apply once a week or every other week that makes the dander stick to the hair like Allerpet (Amazon.)