Help! 8 week old kitten aggressive toward 2 year old male cat.

victoriamaxwell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we just adopted an 8 week old female persian mix kitten. She is fearless, goes right up to our 2 German shepherds without issue. Our existing cat Fitz (2year old male Persian ) just wants to play with her, but she is having none of it! She will initiate what I assume is play, pouncing on his tail, swatting at him through the cat house peep holes, then follow it up with a hiss, spit and growl. This scares Fitz and at this point I am concerned about how much of this he will take before pummeling her. Do I just let them go at it and hope for the best? Right now when it happens I've been telling her NO and putting her in time out in the bathroom. Advise please?

Thanks in advance!

Victoria

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Watching the Raider game NFL. But I'm curious to hear what wha cat lovers have to say. I have two 8 wk old maine coons siblings, and I've noticed the male plays very aggressively with his sister, she meows (crying out the whole time), even feeding them I have to watch because he stops her from eating. I have two bowls his&hers but he eats out of both. He's even aggressive at this age is there anything I can do?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've not had her long, they are probably working out who's the top cat.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your female is being dominant. Perhaps Fitz will put her in her place when he has had enough or maybe he won't. When you say Fitz gets scared, does he run away like frightened or first looks confused and then walks away? 

However, I don't agree with time outs being used for just hissing, spitting and growling. In my home, my cats do those things every day specially when playing gets too rough. I let them be.