Help! 8 month old neutered male keeps biting sister from the same litter on the neck.

kevin crawley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm not sure where else to go for advice on this subject, so im hoping some kind folk here can help me out.  Here i go!

Several months ago my girlfriend and I adopted two 5 month old kittens, a boy named Farnsworth and a girl named Boomer, both neutered.  They've always rough housed, but its never even ended up in a hiss or growl battle.  They tend to feint charge each other, roll around and chase each other around.  A couple of times I've caught the male biting the female on the neck, while she lays with her back on the ground.  She'd normally kick him off and escape, so I never thought much of it.  Farnsworth at this point is quite literally twice her size, so escaping might be difficult.  

They would sleep together, groom each other and generally get along.

The concern arose when I had to take Boomer to the vet with an abscess on her neck.  The vet explained that it was probably a play fight that got to far, shot her up with antibiotics and other goodies and sent her home.  She recovered, and I figured all was well but less than 2 weeks later another abscess developed on the other side of her neck.  I took her to the vet again, and they were very concerned that the two cats were fighting.  I tried to explain that they weren't. but the vet didn't seem to believe me, and suggested that I rehome one of them if this continues.  The concept breaks our hearts, neither my girlfriend or I want to give either of them up.  Im not sure how we could chose between them if it ever came down to it.

We're keeping them separated for now, bought some feliway dispenser thing the vet recommended and are hoping that in time we can reintroduce them.  They sit on either side of the door and try to reach at each other, sometimes meowing in despair.  I don't want to take the risk of her getting another abscess, its not so much the vet bill (which stings), it seems cruel to subject her to having to recover from that kind of injury over and over.  She's such a sweet little thing.

Any advice would be appreciated, I wonder if there is some kind of protective collar I can get for Boomer.  Anything at all really.

Thanks for reading this novel

meownpurrher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no expert in this particular situation but here are some suggestions I hope can help:

- Bach Flower Essences (Rescue Remedies) instead of Feliway: they have many different options that target specific behavioural problems. spray or add to water.

- A cone for the male cat (the ones you get from the Vet after a surgery) this would make it harder for him to fight her and bite her there.

- Look up episodes of My Cat From Hell and see if there are any episodes similar to your situation. you can get a lot of useful info from that. 

- Bring both cats into the vet at one time and have the vet witness their 'play time' or film it and show it to the vet.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this and can't be of more help. Good luck to you all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevin crawley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the advice!  I'm looking up the cat from hell show right now, im going to try giving them even more play time than before, maybe look into one of those electric toys that can keep their attention when Im not around.

Filming their play time is also a great idea, they seem to get along well enough, bat at each other and run around, but eventually she'll roll over on her back and he'll just go for her neck.  I don't know if it's a dominance thing, i don't think it's a sexual thing as he's not mounting her from the behind, its always the way i described.

I've looked at these e-collar things as well.  They're big plush things that supposedly prevent them from going at healing wounds themselves, but might provide enough protection for her neck until the other's habit breaks.

Does feliway not work to mellow cats out in your experience? 

meownpurrher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully there is an episode (or a few) that can help you out.

Maybe you could provide "hides" for the female (she is smaller, right?)... a cardboard box with a door too small for the male to fit through... so she has somewhere to escape from him. Perhaps giving the male a collar with a bell on it so the female can hear him coming and avoid him. That isn't exactly the ideal cat family though, so there may be better options out there for you guys.

It could be a dominance thing, trying to figure out who's boss. They are maturing, so this could just be a phase. Cats are pretty complex sometimes!

Maybe you can search youtube for cat 'fight' videos (use keywords that apply to your situation) and compare the cats online with your cats at home. Perhaps someone has had a similar issue, and maybe they can help you out now!

Oh, e-collar (the soft one, right?) that sounds like a good idea for her protection.

Feliway is just more of a general calming, I only suggested the Bach's Flower Essences (doesn't even have to be Bach's, that is just a popular brand) because each essence targets a specific problem. One is meant to stop cats from bullying each other, while another is meant to keep cats calm on a car ride.  
I've been researching flower/plant essences as well as dried flowers/plants and their uses/benefits to cats as I have a kitty at home that suffers from anxiety issues of all kinds and it seems like there is a plant for everything. Behavioural problems as well as physical health issues. Just thought it might be worth looking into, if Feliway ISN'T successful for you. I've heard of people using Feliway in combination with flower essences or dried flowers remedies. 
Personally we have only tried lavender and chamomile and they have helped mildly to calm our anxious cat. We will be experimenting to find the right fix!

Our Vet has Feliway in the office and even though it doesn't have much time to work it seems to calm our cats down a bit, not fully but as I said it doesn't have enough time to take full effect.