Help !!!!!!! 6 month old kitty is being agressive after being neutered

cjlove1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats a male he is 4 his name is Yagar, Gabby she is a 3 year old female and Tigger who is a 6 month old kitty.

I took Tigger to get neutered today and after it was ok for him to come out of the crate i let him out and he started running around the house screaming, hissing at me and the other cats. We can't go anywhere near him.

I put the other two cats in our basement and closed the kitty door so that my kitten can have a little alone time upstairs to recoup.

He will start to rest but then if anyone walks in his vicinity he freaks. He seems like he hates me since I am the one who brought him. He wont let me touch him. I feel so bad!

I love all of my cats to death and Tigger has been such a very affectionate cat with me and the other cats.

Does this change? will he go back to normal?Has anyone else ever had this problem?

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Tigger is having a hard time, and that it's causing stress for your other kitties. He's probably still groggy from the operation, and he's probably in pain, too. Did the vet give you anything for the pain? If so, can you give it to him now? If not, just let him rest and don't disturb him. He will start to be his normal self soon enough.

When he's feeling better and is up to being around the other cats, make sure you keep an eye on them all. He might smell "funny" to them after being at the vet's and they might not recognize him right away. They could think he's a stranger and react defensively. If that's the case, keep them separated as needed, don't force things. Eventually things should settle down and life will go back to normal. (I know, I've been through this twice now with my cats!)

My two boys were neutered about three months ago, and it took 3 or 4 days for them to go back to normal. I remember the afternoon that we brought them home, they seemed OK at first, but as the anesthesia wore off they started showing signs of pain. Honey Pie was wandering around the house from one room to the next, meowing and meowing (which is not like him at all, he's usually very quiet). So I gave him his pain medication and zipped him up in his pet carrier so he'd stop wandering. That calmed him down and he was able to go to sleep. If your Tigger is already trying to sleep and be left alone, that's probably what's best for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjlove1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You so much for the reply. They didn't give me any pain medicine, the poor little guy, he looks so sad. The other cats are fine with him, it's him who is hissing at the other cats which is very odd because our other male cat and Tigger are usually inseparable, they are buddies like two peas in a pod and now Tigger is acting like they are strays. I'm going to keep them separated for the night and hope that we can try again tomorrow.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats can have a reaction to anesthesia that causes them to act aggressive. I would put him in a safe room and let him rest for a day or two. I would also look in to getting him some pain meds as well (the vet may have given him a pain shot.)

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats can have a reaction to anesthesia that causes them to act aggressive. I would put him in a safe room and let him rest for a day or two. I would also look in to getting him some pain meds as well (the vet may have given him a pain shot.)

Do call your vet and ask if there's something you can give him for the pain.

Since Tigger is the one showing aggression, it could also be that it's his way of telling the other cats to back off because he hurts too much to be with them.

Hope he gets better soon!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is probably still scared from the surgery. Imagine not knowing what is going on, waking up in pain, and in a strange place. I don't know about you, but I would be tempted to rip somebody a new one.

I agree, give him a place to recover for a couple of days and he should be back to normal. He needs to feel safe. Find a dark, cool spot for him and put a bed, box and food and water there. You may have to put him in another room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjlove1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your advice. I set him up in my room and gave him some space, in the middle of the night he jumped in bed with me and turned into his cute purr monster self. I am so happy he is feeling better. He hasn't been eating, i'm just hoping that he is just still in too much pain too.