Help! 3 month old kitten won't eat, hardly active

deeanimal1337

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there.
Just really worried about my little guy :( he still purrs when I pet him, eyes are dilated, was able to play for a short while with his brother but wasn't his usual crazy self. He seems kinda out of it and won't eat any of his favourite foods.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there.
Just really worried about my little guy
he still purrs when I pet him, eyes are dilated, was able to play for a short while with his brother but wasn't his usual crazy self. He seems kinda out of it and won't eat any of his favourite foods.
When did he stop eating? Is he eating nothing at all?  Any other symptoms?

Bottom line a healthy 3 month old kitten will eat. A sick one won't. He needs to be seen by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deeanimal1337

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up this morning to this
Called the vets they can't do anything because my financial situation is ****.

deeanimal1337

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two giant white worms covered in bile. They were still moving I went and bought him some worm drops from the pet store, he meows at his food but hasn't had an appetite to eat yet

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two giant white worms covered in bile. They were still moving I went and bought him some worm drops from the pet store, he meows at his food but hasn't had an appetite to eat yet
Your cat is in trouble.  Can someone loan you some money for a vet?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your guy needs a vet NOW.  This is not good at all.  Please find someone who will loan you the money or call other vets to see if they will work with you on a payment plan.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has your kitten ever been de-wormed before?   That should have been part of its regular kitten vetting, along with vaccinations.   I would suggest Strongid or Praziquantel (both can be obtained without an Rx) but those worms are HUGE and I don't know if it's past the point where those meds would be useful?   You can get Strongid from a tractor supply store, and Praziquantel from most pet stores.  Please keep calling around to vets until you find one who will accept a payment plan - or if you could borrow money from a friend.  

I assure you, your kitten is feeling sick........worms aren't good, and if he is actually vomiting worms, he needs help right now!  

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is quite extreme, they will or have already gone in to his lungs and completely take over his insides.

He REALLY needs serious meds now, if you want to save him. 

Treated then retreated over and over for months from a vet. Cost is only one time for the visit, the rest is med only which is not costly.

This is bad, he clearly has never been dewormed to have grown to this extreme size.

I hope for his sake you can or are working out a way.

If not, please take pity on him and his life, turn him over to a shelter or rescue. Yes, it's that bad. He won't live like this.

Kittens cost, vaccines, wormings, spay/neuters, without mentioning any other vet visits he may need for unexpected.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is Care Credit. Your kitten needs immediate and urgent vet care. I would, IMO, not recommend deworming a kitten with worms this size all on my own. It can be quite risky and these worms are SO large that vet intervention may be necessary to save your little one. I am so sorry there is no other option - money or no money. Find a vet who will help your kitten, asap. ALSO - BAG UP the worms on the floor and bring along to show the vet when you take your kitten in. IF you try to deworm without a vet's supervision, then the worms could all die inside the kitten and become impossible for the kitten to pass and could potentially turn into a blockage of some sort. These are BIG worms and a vet needs to know how severe the infestation is. Please keep us posted. MEGA VIBES. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

P.S. You also mention a brother to the kitten?? BOTH kittens needs deworming and both kittens will be infected the same.

Might this help??
View media item 287979

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not give the kittens these drops as I mentioned above in my reply yesterday. The worm infestation is way to severe and advanced to treat OTC on your own. Can you please update????? Not sure how you came to adopting in these two kittens? All kittens need veterinary dewormings and vaccinations. It comes with the responsibility of keeping and caring for them. Not to be harsh on you and I don't know the story behind your finding them BUT if you did get them from a shelter - then the shelter will help you with getting them properly dewormed. If not - and you cannot afford care - then there has to be another way to save the kittens if you cannot and one option would be to relinquish them to the vet's office for care. They truly are in a desperate situation. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

deeanimal1337

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is perfectly fine now and back to normal :) I scheduled their vaccines and neutering for October!! Gave us a huge scare there

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten is perfectly fine now and back to normal
I scheduled their vaccines and neutering for October!! Gave us a huge scare there
We have been so concerned for him/them!

While he seems all better now, he is infested with worms and this MUST be treated by a vet.

Worms this size take over intestines and lungs and can kill him. 

PLEASE be sure he sees a vet, if he has not already. Also vaccines should have started last month as there are 3 needed, with 3 weeks in between to be fully protected.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree he is still at huge risk. You've been given a reprieve, if you don't take advantage of it he could get in serious trouble.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten is perfectly fine now and back to normal :) I scheduled their vaccines and neutering for October!! Gave us a huge scare there
Kitten is not normal with such a severe advanced infestation of rounds. Still has them - they don't barf them away. Any vet will confirm this.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others. The fact that the kitten us seemingly back to normal does NOT mean that everything is ok. His life is still in danger. He needs urgent veterinary treatment to deal with the worms that are still inside him.

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My rescue kittens were healthy, hyperactive, they had a clean fecal test, everything seemed to be going great when a few months down the line someone vomited blood and worms all over the kitchen floor.  
   While I'd never seen any sign of infestation previously, I had given them a natural remedy (with evidence to back its efficacy) in place of routine deworming.  I didn't see any reason to use a pharmaceutical when their stool samples were negative. Their vet was very kind and never said a word about it, but I'm sure she wanted to give me a good shake for not using the guaranteed-to-work, and very safe, medication. 

Nemex is ridiculously cheap, and if you contact the local humane society they can point you in the direction of low cost clinics in your area.  Also, country vets are almost always cheaper because they don't have a lot of overhead.  

Routine care is important and necessary.  If you don't take care of the basics, you're going to run up against bigger health problems and bigger vet bills in the near future.  

Last edited: