Hello!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
I went to your website, and I LOVE the pictures....I especially liked the one of little Themis...what a doll!
I don't think I had ever seen a Scottish Fold before....I wonder if we have any of them around here? They are so sweet!
Debby, there are probably more Scottish Folds in the US nowadays than anywhere else. When the British GCCF banned them (for spurious reasons), they "emigrated" to the States, and as a breed, really took off there. Have a look at the CFA website (sorry, I don't have the link), and I'm sure you'll find many pictures and articles about Scottish Folds through that.

The good news is, that although there has been some hysteria in recent years (Germany, among others, wanting to ban the breeding of Folds, Manx, Siamese, Persians, white cats of all breeds etc), people are slowly coming round to a more reasonable attitude. Breeders and clubs are getting together, sending X-rays and vet reports etc; International judges, seeing new breeds in other countries, are supporting the recognition of several of them - and now, even FIFe (FÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]dÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ration Internationale FÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]line) is holding recognition shows for, among others, the Scottish Fold.

There is hope, therefore, that our lovely Scottish "teddy-bears" will soon once more be able to return from "exile", as well as thriving in the great country that gave them encouragement and welcome - and allowed them to survive and develop as a breed!

Hooray for the US!

Esme

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never knew they had been banned from the UK!! Thankfully they are not banned here any longer... as whilst kitty hunting (as I always do) I found a number of breeders - it would have been an awful shame if this gorgeous breed had been allowed to remain "exiled"......

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like to post a belated WELCOME to Esme and her beautiful brood of furbabies. They are simply stunning, teddy-bear-like little creatures.

And they are also HUGELY photogenic!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the information! I sure would love to have one. I don't know if there are any breeders anywhere near me, though, and hubby would probably say no if it meant spending money since I have so many that I have rescued.

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by BodLover
I never knew they had been banned from the UK!! Thankfully they are not banned here any longer... as whilst kitty hunting (as I always do) I found a number of breeders - it would have been an awful shame if this gorgeous breed had been allowed to remain "exiled"......
Bodlover, I'm afraid I was a bit too succinct and have misled you. They were only banned as show cats, by the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy, as "they can't breed like to like". At that time, the GCCF was the authority in the British Cat Fancy. Since then, the Cat Association of Britain was formed (affiliated to FIFe) and they decided to allow Scottish Fold Shorthairs to compete up to Championship standard, but no further. Longhaired SFs could become CA Medallists (the title of my Fairisle's sire), and the straight-eared Scottish were not recognised at all, except for breeding purposes.

Fortunately, a few dedicated breeders went on producing them all the same, notably Janet Green in Yorkshire (International FIFe judge, well-known breeder of Persians and British SHs). I was lucky enough to get two cats from her: my Founder queen, Fairisle (straight-ear), who is now an International Grand Champion and Distinguished Merit, and who was Best Breeding Queen in our club in 1997. Her daughter Beatrice won the same distinction in 2000. From Yorkshire I also got my lovely Blue/White Scottish Fold Van, ShakespEARean Sonnet, now "retired".

As I belong to an Independent club here in Switzerland, I have been able to get my boys and girls, both Fold and Stright-eared, made up to Champion and beyond. Fairisle's Straight-eared son, Different Drummer, is a Quadruple European Grand Champion, has won umpteen awards, including Best Supreme, and appeared in two books in Italy, representing the Standard of his breed.

We Fold breeders in Europe are optimistic about the future of our lovely breed: and now that the quarantine regulations have changed for the better, I dream of one day presenting my Folds at shows in their country of origin!

Esme

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Esme, your kitties sound very successful!!! and if you DO ever come here to show your babies... I know of nice house you can stay at that just LOVES kitties!! :laughing:
Its really interesting to find out about the history/struggles of different breeds/breeders, to how they got to where they are today...

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is off the subject, but I am constantly amazed at the language skills our European members have. Although we are offered Latin, French, German and Spanish, (there is never room in a high school schedule for more than two foreign languages) we don't have much opportunity to speak them. Although I can carry on a conversation in Spanish, you, our European friends, are fluent; you even use idioms correctly. I am so envious! Mexico is thousands of miles from me, and I may never get to visit there or Puerto Rico.

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jeanie! As one of the "European friends", thank you! I'm actually Welsh, and have lived in Switzerland since 1968. I took my degree in Modern Languages, with Honours in French, Subsidiary Spanish and Ancillary Latin. Since living here, I've picked up enough Italian to get by, even on the phone, can stammer to survival standard in German (but only under torture), and have acquired a smattering of two or three other languages - but then, I'm a professional linguist, and languages are also my hobby! This is particularly useful when travelling around Europe to cat shows, as you might imagine!

Esme

cozykittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Esmeralda,
Beautiful kitty!!!
I think it's a dilute calico if I'm not wrong, I breed baby doll-faced persian & himalayan kittens and I have one that has the same coloring as your kitty, I haven't yet registered her, but I think she's a dilute calico??
What do you think?

Sue

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, Cozy, definitely a dilute Calico - and a very beautiful one as well! She looks a darling! Give her a scrÃ[emoji]174[/emoji]tch under the chin and a kiss from me, please!

Esme

melissa-a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Esmeralda
Oh yes, Cozy, definitely a dilute Calico - and a very beautiful one as well! She looks a darling! Give her a scrÃ[emoji]174[/emoji]tch under the chin and a kiss from me, please!

Esme
Esm, been wondering where you are.... Havn't seen you in Kt/Ktl lately but HA I found you LOL. Wonders if posting this link was a good thing (lolol) J/K

Melissa

esmeralda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol Mel, I wondered if you were the same Melissa who goes by another name elsewhere, and didn't like to assume! Anyway, I for one am delighted you posted this link - and glad of the opportunity to say Thank you for it!

(((((hugs)))))

Esme