Hello

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am new here My cat here name is Abby but everybody calls her THE CAT!! Had 6 kittens Is this alot? I tought they usaully had like 4 or 5 but 6 whoa anyway she keeps sitting on the little one and she makes these werid gasy nosises like she farting or soemthing the kitties are really cute though

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Texan Cat

Hi I am new here My cat here name is Abby but everybody calls her THE CAT!! Had 6 kittens Is this alot? I tought they usaully had like 4 or 5 but 6 whoa anyway she keeps sitting on the little one and she makes these werid gasy nosises like she farting or soemthing the kitties are really cute though
Yes six kittens is normal. I have had cats that have had 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Some people on here have had cats that have had more.

The gasey noisies I assume are like "brrrrp, brrrrp". That is her talking to her kittens. It is like a chirping that mothers make to call their babies to them and to reassure them that she is near.

Keep an eye on the smallest one. The runt sometimes can get in the mothers way. Make sure she/he is getting to nurse as often as the larger ones.

Congratulations on the babies and we can't wait to see pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
umm she keeps hiding the runt and nursing it separately

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess she's clumsly but she keeps sitting on one of the little black ones

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

umm she keeps hiding the runt and nursing it separately
By hiding do you mean taking the kitten in another part of the house?

Do you have a box set up for her? Is she in a seperate room?

She may be taking the runt off to make sure it gets a good supply of milk. The larger ones may be pushing the runt out of the way and she is not getting enough food.

If she is sitting or laying on some of the kittens she may need a larger area to nest in if she is in a box or basket of some sort.

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh okay she keeps hissing at me she never done this before

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may be scared and confused. Is this her first litter?

Also you might want to give her some alone time. She might be getting frustrated if she is a first time momma.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TCS....I don't know if this is her first litter or how she became pregnant. But if she was allowed outdoors, you need to restrict her to indoors only and away from intact males until she can be safely spayed. If you need a low cost clinic for when it is time for her to be spayed, there is a link in my signature to low cost clinics by state.

Katie

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is her first litter she has little outside privileges
I think the only way she got pregnant was when she escaped

She came back after her night out then we found out she was pregnant
maybe it was my aftershave she's not doing it now
I bought some powdered kitten milk and gave her some she really likes it I also fed the runt she keeps him alone away from the rest of them I don't know why
She only comes when he cries
he's my favorite I think I am going to name him scooter or something
umm do they ever poo? I mean they eat and eat but no poo?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mom takes care of the poo( she eats its, yuk i know,lol). how old are the babies now? Welcome to the site

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

this is her first litter she has little outside privileges
I think the only way she got pregnant was when she escaped

She came back after her night out then we found out she was pregnant
maybe it was my aftershave she's not doing it now
I bought some powdered kitten milk and gave her some she really likes it I also fed the runt she keeps him alone away from the rest of them I don't know why
She only comes when he cries
he's my favorite I think I am going to name him scooter or something
umm do they ever poo? I mean they eat and eat but no poo?
The outside priveledges need to stop....cats can and do become pregnant as early as a couple of days after giving birth. I would keep her secure indoors and ensure that there are 2 doors between herself and the outdoors until she has weaned her kittens and has been spayed.

Katie

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh okay
eww she eats the poo
okay anything else I need to know?
they are about 2-3 day old

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this site is a very good resourse for finding information. just make sure there nursing alot, and try to keep track of there health and size. if one dosent look or act right, call the vet.

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so do I weight them and how do I sex them

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
umm I am having a hard time getting little whiskers to nurse with the fake nipple is there any trick to the nursing?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, you should weight them once a day, with a digital scale that can read in ounces. and with the feeding, i havent done it, but many have on here.

Feeding Your Kitten
What To FeedFeeding TechniquesKitten Feeding Schedule
While your kitten is warming up, you can prepare something for him to eat. If this little kitten was hypothermic (abnormally-low body temperature) and in shock when you found him, you should only give him children's Pedialyte (or an equivalent) for the first two hours, until he warms up. Then switch to kitten formula. If you are using children's Pedialyte, dilute it half and half with water that has been boiled and cooled. If you don't have any Pedialyte, you can make a home-made version. This does not need to be diluted.

Keeping Good Records
After every feed, keep a record of how much your kitten has taken. This will help you work out whether he is drinking enough throughout the day. Also, to keep track of his development, if you can, weigh him at the same time every day, using kitchen or small postage scales. A kitten that is doing well will put on between 10-20 grams a day. Keep a record of his weight so that you can identify any weight loss quickly. Your vet will also be glad that you took the time to keep these records, in case something happens down the road.

Kitten Weight
At birth, weight should be approx 3-3.4 ounces.

At age 1 week weight should be approx. 4 ounces.

At age 2 weeks, weight should be approx. 7 ounces.

At age 3 weeks, weight should be approx. 10 ounces.

At age 4 weeks weight should be approx. 13 ounces.

At age 5 weeks, weight should be approximately 1 pound.

By the end of the 8th week, kittens should weigh approximately 2.2 pounds.

Of course, all these weights are approximate. You may have a kitten that is slightly under or over these weights and still be perfectly healthy. If ever you have a concern about your kitten, or he just doesn't seem 'right', consult a vet. On the internet there is a pretty extensive kitty calendar you can use.

To feed your kitten, use a dropper, syringe, doll's bottle or ideally, a specifically designed nursing bottle, available from most grocery and pet stores. If you are using a bottle, the size of the hole in the nipple is critical for success. If the bottle is turned upside down and formula dribbles from the nipple, the hole is too large. Use of this nipple may cause choking and formula ending up in your kitten's lungs. If the bottle is turned upside down and formula comes out only after considerable squeezing of the bottle, the hole is too small. Use of this nipple will result in your kitten becoming discouraged and refusing to nurse. The hole is the proper size if the bottle is turned upside down and formula drips slowly from the nipple.

The nipples supplied with a nurser bottle or kits are not pierced. To pierce the nipple, wet it thoroughly inside and out with the boiled, cooled water and then heat a small pin or needle in a flame until it glows red. Quickly pierce the top of the nipple and remove the pin. Test the flow of the bottle and repeat the process if the hole is too small. Rinse the nipple thoroughly with more boiled cooled water, making sure to squeeze some water through the hole.

Warm the formula to body temperature - about 100oF. Do this by immersing the bottle in a cup of hot water or by removing the nipple and warming in the microwave for a few seconds. Shake the bottle well after warming to make sure there are no hot spots in the formula and check the temperature. It should be warm but never hot. Never re-use formula that you have warmed. Discard it and use fresh formula for each feed.

Place your kitten on it's tummy on a soft surface such as a blanket or towel and gently place the nipple into his mouth. Tilt the bottle up slightly so the nipple is full of milk. He should automatically begin sucking. If he refuses to take the nipple, place a little dab of Karo syrup on his tongue to stimulate his sucking response. Never squeeze formula into his mouth as this can cause choking. Feed your kitten until he is comfortably full, not until the stomach is tight and distended. When he is full, small bubbles of formula will form around his mouth and he will spit the nipple out. Now you must burp him, just like a human baby. Hold him on your chest, lap or shoulder and gently rub and pat his back with two fingers until he burps.

texan cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
whiskers drank the whole bottle as per the instruction on the package the fell asleep with his mommy so cute