Hello

judicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so happy to have found this place!  'Way back in 1997, when I got my first computer, one of the first things I did was to join the Cat Fancy forums.  I really enjoyed that, and made friends that I still have today.  I've been wanting to find a new cat-related forum, but they seem to be going away.  I had clipped out the ad for his site from a Cat Fancy magazine, and just found it again this afternoon.

Anyway - I'm Judi in San Diego.  I have two cats at the moment.  Rex, a white-and-black cowcat, who will be 7 in April.  Then there's Bobby, around the same age by the vet's estimate, who has lived on our condo patio for the past three + years.  He's a former stray that we started feeding, and had hopes of bringing him inside to live with us.  Unfortunately, he is entirely too aggressive with Rex, so the patio is the best we can do.  (We do let him in for about an hour in the mornings, when Rex is asleep in another room, and we can close that door.) 

My avatar picture is Maggie, who had to leave us three days before Christmas.  She should have been 19 next month.  I'd had her since she was six weeks old, and I'm going to miss her for a very long time.  In the past year or so, she spent most of her time right here on my desk.  It just doesn't seem right that she's gone.

Around the end of this month, we hope to find and adopt a kitty.  Rex likes other cats, but has not had the best of luck.  Maggie had very little to do with him - nothing personal, she just wasn't a touchy-feely cat.  Bobby, as noted above, would like to eat him for lunch.  We're hoping to find a kitten who won't have too many preconceived notions, so that Rex will finally have a feline companion.  Fingers crossed.

I see a lot of interesting topics and discussions here - can't wait to join in!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome.  I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! We're glad you found us! 

I'm so sorry about the loss of sweet Maggie.  Almost 19 is a good, long life. I know you miss her. You had a long and special friendship. She misses you too but she knows that she'll see you again some day when the time is right. The two of you have a bond that nothing can break- even death. 

I think it's great that you want to get another kitty. Maggie would approve. 
  Check out your local shelters and see who is available. Let the shelter workers know what you are looking for and tell them about Rex and Bobby. They can point you in the right direction and then the right  one will pick you. 

Once you find your new kitty, this article on cat to cat introduction is very helpful. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Good luck and RIP little Maggie. You were a beautiful girl and you will never be forgotten. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you found us!  You'll have a blast here.  There are funny things and sad things and lighthearted things and serious things and informative things and just silly things and ALL OF THEM ABOUT CATS!!!  Who could ask for more?

I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful Maggie.  I know that 19 is a good long life for a cat, but that's just longer for us to love deeper and miss more.  But I believe to the bottom of my soul that love never dies.  Doesn't help when we want to hear that purr one more time, but...still...

Best of luck finding a companion for poor Rex.  I know he's ready and willing to be buds with a new guy, and there are lots of articles here to help ease the adjustment.  Sad that Bobby will never know what living inside can be, but I'm sure he has a cozy bed on the patio, and all the affection that he can handle as a semi-feral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the welcoming words. 

It really is too bad that Bobby's attitude keeps him outdoors.  Our condo patio is surrounded by a four-foot stucco wall.  He can get over it if he wants, but he very rarely ventures out anymore, and then only for about 20 or 30 minutes.  I'm glad of that.  I suspect that he was left behind when someone moved.  He does have all the comforts.  Two chairs with thermal cushions, so he has a choice of beds.  A small litter box.  Food and water and toys.  It really is his 'room'.  As I mentioned, he does come in for an hour in the mornings, and with the sliding glass door, I think he does feel part of the family.  After three years and four months, he should!  He has a collar and tag, so if he does go over the wall, people won't think he's a stray. 

As for Maggie, I've learned, no matter how much time you have with them, it's never enough.