hello

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

What do you mean she left them? Did she go get something to eat and drink, use the toilet? Or has she abandoned them?
I was thinking the same thing, what do u mean that she left?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What do you mean she left them? Did she go get something to eat and drink, use the toilet? Or has she abandoned them?
i dont know???? im checking hold on.............i found her she has a few of the baby's in another area, she left some of them, what do i do? im alone!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by daniel_17

i dont know???? im checking hold on.............i found her she has a few of the baby's in another area, she left some of them, what do i do? im alone!
Is she going back to get them? Could it be possible that she couldnt grab all of them at that time?

Also try not to stress to much she can sense that so u dont want to get her stressed out now too

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's likely moving them to a new nest... just keep an eye on her and where she is moving them. SHe probaly doens't feel safe where she was. Normal for any mom to do this.

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
possably, should i move the rest? into that crate i have for her?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
put the rest of the babies where she moved them. If you keep moving them back or into a new location, she's just gonna move them back.

Only way to prevent this is to put her in a confined room like a bedroom. Or into a large dog crate with food, water and a litterbox. Bedroom would be better though. Nothing really wrong with her m oving the babies as long as they are safe and warm, and you are able to check on them.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

put the rest of the babies where she moved them. If you keep moving them back or into a new location, she's just gonna move them back.

Only way to prevent this is to put her in a confined room like a bedroom. Or into a large dog crate with food, water and a litterbox. Bedroom would be better though. Nothing really wrong with her m oving the babies as long as they are safe and warm, and you are able to check on them.
that u bet me to saying that
but she is right if u keep moving them to a different location then she will just move them back! Do u have her confined somewhere? Leto is completely right u need to confine her somewhere !

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea like i said she is in a closet, she moved from one part to another, the babies she left are tackeling each other.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS. We are glad you found us!

Now, since Momma seems intent upon moving the babies around, let's do this ...

Let's get a nice, roomy box (you mentioned you had a crate) and line it with a few old towels you won't be needing. Place it where she is NOW, hopefully, nursing the babies. Do a head count to make sure you have ALL the babies in one place. Cover the box with a blanket to make a nice, warm, dark nest for her and then leave her alone. Don't be going in and out to check on things, this will make Momma anxious and nervous. Just check about every couple of hours to make sure she is nursing and lying with her kits.

It is normal for her to get up and move around some. You will want to place her food, water and litter tray all nearby but not too close. If you can confine her to one room with a door that can be closed off from the rest of your home, that would be preferable. Just make sure that you do a walk-about the room to ensure there are no unsafe places where she can move the babies - you want to be able to get to them in the event you need to.

When you can, you might want to run past the grocery store and get a couple of things to have on hand ...

A couple of containers of Goat's Milk
Several jars of meat-only baby food (no onions or other veggies), I like chicken or turkey
Several cans of a high-quality wet food in the kitten formula
A good, high-quality dry food, also in the kitten formula

When you get back from the store, gently warm the Goat's milk in a dish (you can use the microwave, but test the milk before giving it to the cats ... you want it warm, not hot) and offer it to Momma. You can also gently warm a little of the baby food and give that to her as well. You can give these things to her once or twice per day. She will need the extra calories and protein to help her have enough milk to nourish the kittens. If you haven't already, start feeding Momma the kitten food. She needs it now.

We are all here to help, so don't be shy about asking questions.

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i moved them and her into a box, she dos'nt sem to want to nurse them right now though, so what can i do

EDIT: she is nursing them last i checked, im gonna leave her alone and gather some of my own
sanity back so im down to earth and level headed for whats to come.

thank you all for the support, ive got no experiance with anykind of birth lol im only 17.
i plan on becoming a premium member when i get my job.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is good that she is nursing and gayef gave u some great information, so try to get to the store and get those things
I am glad that all is going well now and like everyones said she is going to move them and everything...is she in the box u gave her?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Daniel!!! And welcome to TCS!

You're doing a fantastic job, so do pull your head together!!!!

Now that you've done all the things that needed to be done, here's another few things for you to do:

1. Have a seat, take a deep breath and blow it out. Do it again until you can feel your heart beating normally ok?
2. Once your heart is beating normally, go get her food, water and litter box and place it closer to her. Food and water on one side, litter box on the other.
3. Check your kitchen to see if you have a baking weighing scale. Once the kittens have finished nursing and look somewhat dry, weigh each on an record it. You'll have to do this daily, at the same time to monitor the kittens' progress.
4. Give mom cat a good stroke. She's done good!!!

Unfortunately I live on the other side of the world and it's nearly 4am.

You've definatly come to the right place!

Good luck Hon!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh Daniel - you´ve done real well

I am sure all is gonna be just fine with your cat & her new kitties

As you say take a break now ! We are all still here to help whenever

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how long does all this go on? the whole nursing process, will scooter be able to walk around the house and be normal again?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens will nurse as their primary source of nutrition for 4 to 8 weeks.

In a few days to a week, you will start to notice their little eyes beginning to open. Don't try to force them, let it happen as it will. If you notice a little gunk or crust on the eyes, you can take a little cotton gauze and dampen it with warm water, then gently gently gently swab the area to remove the gunk/crust, but again, don't try to force it.

Momma will take care of the kittens in ALL of their needs, including elimination. She licks them to clean off dirt from the fur and she will also lick their bottoms to stimulate them to eliminate urine and feces. Do not be alarmed by this. *grin*

Momma will teach them, when the time comes, how to eat solid foods and to use the litter box. It is a truly amazing process to watch, but Momma knows best, so let her do her job. You can encourage the little ones once Momma has begun her lessons, but other than that, let Momma do it.

As for when your little Momma-girl will be "normal" again, that is hard to say. It is an individual thing with cats. Some of them are absolutely wonderful Mommas and others just sort of do the basics and go on with life. Time will tell how your girl will be, but my bet is that she will be an excellent mother and you will have some sweet little babies who are healthy, clean and well-socialized in a few weeks.

For now, just watch, and let Momma's behavior be your guide. If she seems to get seriously agitated if you touch or pick up the kittens right now, then don't. You will want to start handling them as much as you can, but since they are so new and tiny right now, everyone is better off if you leave them be.

Abymummy suggested that you get a scale and I agree whole-heartedly. I got mine on sale at Wal-Mart for less than $10 and it really does make it easy to see progress, or in the case of a fading kitten, it can alert you to problems quickly so you can intervene. Make sure you get a scale that weighs in both grams and ounces, and get a daily weight on all of the kittens.

What I normally do is weigh them, chart that on a piece of paper along with color and gender and any other notes of interest ...

Kitten 1 - Boy - Blue Point: 5 ounces - Healthy and fat.

You get the idea.

Also, another way to tell if the babies are getting enough to eat is to look-see at their little bellies. The skin across the belly should be flat, streatched fully across and not at all saggy or wrinkly. The babies should be fiesty and vocal if you pick them up. They should sleep a lot right now, nurse a lot and generally lay around. But just give it a few more weeks and take my word for it, they will be running around like they own the place - which of course, they DO! *smile*

Best of luck, Lamb. We are here if you need us.

~gf~

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ill get some pics up as soon as my mom gets home with batteries for my camera

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of the cats still has the ambilical cord still attached, should that be removed? or just ignore it

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momcat will probably take care of that cord soon. She's just so worn out from the birth that she probably hasn't noticed yet.

Daniel, you're a terrific foster dad -- bless you for caring so much and working so hard to make sure mom and babies are safe. And you're very smart for finding this website and getting some help! There's so much to know about all this... but you're plugged into the right place, and you're doing a great job.

Congratulations, Papa!