Hello! Please accept this wall of text

peppermintplant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been posting on the nutrition forum and lurking around elsewhere, so I guess I should introduce myself. I go by Jenny online, and I am pretty much a crazy cat lady. I have three kitties, Sparrow (calico DLH), Klio (tuxedo DSH) and Daisy (black DLH). I put up some photos in my gallery, I think — if I figured it out right, anyway.

I got Sparrow as a kitten. My parents got "adopted" by a colony of barn cats after the woman who owned their property passed away and it stood empty for a while. They were feeding them, and catch-and-release neutering those they could, but couldn't do much beyond that, so when Sparrow (the runt) got very ill after the mother cat weaned the litter, I took her in, planning to nurse her back to health and then return her to my parents. Obviously that didn't happen! She's a happy 7-year-old now, and relatively healthy, although she has some health issues (mainly IBD and asthma, both of which she's had since she was young and have been very well-controlled thanks to an amazing vet, but she gets UTIs sometimes too). She loves going for walks, eating paper and music (she will come when I whistle her favorite songs).

Klio and Daisy are both shelter cats. Klio is the same age as Sparrow, and I adopted her at 8 months old. She's a huge grumpy grump and has some behavior issues that lead me to suspect she was never properly socialized, if not outright mistreated, but she and Sparrow get along pretty well and after I'd had her for a few years, she started approaching me for cuddles and pets instead of just when she wanted to play or eat. She has some arthritis in her hips and is grumpier than usual because of it, but we're working on getting her comfortable again.

Daisy is a year and a half and I adopted her this October. She is a cuddly sweetheart but very anxious. She and Klio aren't getting along well yet, although they are improving a lot. She and Sparrow get along great. They mostly just hang out together when they're both sleepy because Daisy is still a little too nervous to play with the others yet, but they've begun playing in 3-second bursts on the cat tree and Daisy follows Sparrow's lead on everything now, so I have high hopes that they will entertain each other soon.

Aside from my cats and apparently writing novel-length forum posts about them, my hobbies are writing, hiking and tai chi, and I work in the news media.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Novels are good!  LOL  This is one place where no one will tell you're talking too much about your cats!  

It sounds like they're all doing well and Daisy is on her way to being part of the tribe.  I have two IBD kitties--I've received some great advice and suggestions from folks on this site about taking care of them.

Welcome to TCS.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, lovely to hear about you and your three kitties.  I spend more of my time on the health forum and behaviour as I have one accident prone blue cat that likes to play and bites when he gets over excited, and he has feline herpes - which is how I found this site.  I had never heard of it before he was diagnosed and felt the need to learn quickly!  I have been addicted to the site ever since.

If you like writing novels about your boys and want to experiment with posting pictures of them you might enjoy adding Cat Pages for them here on TCS.  There is even a competition running at the moment which is highlighted at the top of the home page.  The Cat Pages are great fun to read through and you can learn lots about other cats' lives, likes, and individual pursonalities. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you have a housefull.  How sweet of you to rescue your kitties.  I have a couple with health issues, my Munchie has asthma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peppermintplant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Novels are good!  LOL  This is one place where no one will tell you're talking too much about your cats!  

It sounds like they're all doing well and Daisy is on her way to being part of the tribe.  I have two IBD kitties--I've received some great advice and suggestions from folks on this site about taking care of them.

Welcome to TCS.  
Thanks for the welcome! It seems like a great place here, and everyone has been very friendly so far. I've been very lucky to have an excellent vet with Sparrow. She's needed steroids for her asthma a couple of times but not often, and never for her IBD. It's been completely under control with diet, probiotics and the occasional Diarsanyl since about eight months after her diagnosis, and just with metronidazole before then. I feel so lucky, because she's so young and I know the less under control it is, the more it affects their length and quality of life (she was not quite 4 when she was diagnosed). I'm glad to here this place is a great resource for it, though, because I've been working on switching them off the prescription food to an all-wet diet for a couple months now. My vet is guiding, but she usually puts pets on the prescription wet, so she doesn't always know about the foods I want to try, just which ingredients I should avoid and what to look for as far as percentages of fat, calories, etc. Thank you for the tip!

Hi, lovely to hear about you and your three kitties.  I spend more of my time on the health forum and behaviour as I have one accident prone blue cat that likes to play and bites when he gets over excited, and he has feline herpes - which is how I found this site.  I had never heard of it before he was diagnosed and felt the need to learn quickly!  I have been addicted to the site ever since.

If you like writing novels about your boys and want to experiment with posting pictures of them you might enjoy adding Cat Pages for them here on TCS.  There is even a competition running at the moment which is highlighted at the top of the home page.  The Cat Pages are great fun to read through and you can learn lots about other cats' lives, likes, and individual pursonalities. 
I hope your kitty gets less accident prone! He sounds like a bit of a handful, but those cats are the most fun I've found (mine sure are entertaining, at least). I will definitely check out the Cat Pages — I've been busy exploring everything else so far, but that sounds like fun and goodness knows I never shut up about my cats, lol. Thank you!

Wow you have a housefull.  How sweet of you to rescue your kitties.  I have a couple with health issues, my Munchie has asthma.
I do! Luckily, while I don't have a huge place, I have a lot of vertical space — a cat tree, a loft bed reserved for the cats (I love the desk it's attached to but can't get up the ladder well anymore), and several built-in shelves that I've "converted" for them. So there's plenty of room for them to hide out and have alone time, as well as places for them to cuddle with each other and with me.

I'm sorry to hear your cat has asthma. My kitty has been pretty good with it so far, but she's starting to get more and more easily irritated by things like smoke and pollen, and that sets off attacks. She's had two of her three steroid injections over the past six months. I'm thinking about getting her an inhaler. :( I hope your asthma kitty is doing well!