hello im worried about Chanel 6 month old all of the sudden picky and will not eat much

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm worried about my chanel, she is6 month old Persian.

Saturday she had one but of loose stool, and was not eating so I boiled chicken to feed her something, she loved it.

Since no more diareah back to normal, but will not eat and only will accept boiled chicken.

What do u guys think I spoiled her with the chicken and if so now what???

Thank you

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she ever had trouble with hairballs? My cat gets really picky sometimes when he's got a hairball. He will act hungry but then turn his nose up at everything until he passes the hairball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for ur response,

Not that I'm aware of.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Might want to call the vet just to be safe. It sounds like she's eating, but not as much as she did before.....

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What can make kitten not eating I'm so scared she has obstruction....

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went to the vet look like her back molar are pushing through and see quite painful for her, so for now we are doing wet food and monitoring her.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes.....teeth coming in...that could definitely make her finicky....I'm glad you found out what it was...and that it's nothing serious.....all I could think of was that she maybe ate something that didn't agree with her...my cat does that once in awhile if you drop something on the kitchen floor...sorry for not answering your second question yesterday....I didn't check my email notifications until this afternoon ....

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@aksm4

If Chanel is teething, it will certainly put her off her food.    There is no reason to panic.

OK, so now Chanel wants boiled chicken.  For an adult cat, boiled chicken should be no more than 10% of their diet because it does not have all the nutrients needed.  

For a kitten, I think you should limit chicken even more, because the nutrients in cat food are more important for Chanel to grow up healthy.  On the other hand, if she refuses everything else, eating any food is better than not eating at all.  

But - you can't just give her chicken because she skips one meal. 

You can try shredding some chicken and mixing it into her current food, or just top her food with some chicken shreds.  You can take the broth from the boiled chicken and mix it into some of her food.

Do you feed Chanel wet or dry food?  Maybe you should try a change from her current food, either in texture or flavor.  Look at the texture of her regular food, is it pate or chunks in gravy?  I'm guessing you shredded the chicken or gave it to her in little chunks.   Did you put the chicken in her usual bowl, or did you put it on a plate?

Persians can also be finicky about the shape of their bowls,  I've seen many members who use relatively large, flat bowls so that the kitty can eat without having her whiskers touch the sides of the bowl. 

One bout of diarrhea and a couple of days being finicky about eating is a long way from a diagnosis of FIP.  Watch her litter box.  She won't have as many poops if she isn't eating as much.   

Things to watch for -- is she crying in her litter box? (If this is a different behavior -- some cats always "announce" their deposits)   Does she look like she is straining to eliminate?  Are the sizes of her pees and poos normal?  

This will sound odd at first, but you can take pictures of her litter box.  That gives you a record of what she leaves for you and lets you compare to that in the future.  

Some people keep journals of what their cat  eats and what's in the box.  That can let you record if there is a certain food that causes diarrhea so you can avoid it in the future.

Please come back here and let us know if you have any more questions.

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for answering my post ,

I gave her Chicken breast in pieces from my hand that day and the next ....

And ever since she is not interested in cat food that much , her poos are good a bit smaller and her pipi is good also , i dont know what to do im upset she is not eating like before she was a piggy but the vet showed me the one molar has come to the surface and t was inflamed red. i have been hand feeding her some can and dry but i cant do thos all the time :(, then someone mentioned she might have stomatitis :(. I spoke to her breeder she told me not to worry it might be a combination of spoiled and teething ??? and to leave her food out sh will get hungry and go eat , tough love its hard for me to do this .

Anna

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And ever since she is not interested in cat food that much , her poos are good a bit smaller and her pipi is good also , i dont know what to do im upset she is not eating like before she was a piggy but the vet showed me the one molar has come to the surface and t was inflamed red. i have been hand feeding her some can and dry but i cant do thos all the time :(, then someone mentioned she might have stomatitis :(. I spoke to her breeder she told me not to worry it might be a combination of spoiled and teething ??? and to leave her food out sh will get hungry and go eat , tough love its hard for me to do this .

Anna
I think that if you can actually see inflammed red gums that is likely the issue and will pass soon, but cats sort of live to eat so keep an eye on her that this passes very soon.

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Anna
She is spoiled now she waits for me to feed he by hand i just wennt she ate a handful full of her dry food ........

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats only when i bring it to her and feed her myself ???

She went through a phase like this when she came to us for about 2 weeks , then she went to eat own her own .....

im confused ...

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

She is spoiled now she waits for me to feed he by hand i just wennt she ate a handful full of her dry food ........
Anna,

I would put a spoonful of wet food on a flat plate for her.  Try a flat plate instead of a bowl, since that would be more like your hand

Since she just had dry food, maybe wait 2 hours and put the wet food down.

I think she will eat because she is hungry.  

Since she will eat from your hand, she's not sick or nauseated, so you are going to have to "wait her out".  

Hold off hand-feeding her after you put wet food down.

She will eventually eat.  It's very easy to spoil our kitties, and it's harder to break the bad habits once they start.

Post back here if you have more questions

aksm4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW that was fast she spoiled ..... even the can food she wants me to give it to her !!! UGHHHHH

she has me catering to her...... so i will try to get a bit tougher good luck to me im not good at this

Anna

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW that was fast she spoiled ..... even the can food she wants me to give it to her !!! UGHHHHH

she has me catering to her...... so i will try to get a bit tougher good luck to me im not good at this

Anna
Yes, it's very easy to spoil her, especially when you are worried about her getting sick.

Tough love is harder. Put the food down and leave it. She will eat on her own, but you might have to listen to her crying for a little while.

She is still young, and it should not take too much time to stop this behavior.

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aksm4 aksm4
How are you and Chanel doing? I know she has you wrapped about her paw, and you are her dedicated slave.

Seriously, some persians eat better if their food is elevated off the floor. Could you try putting a book or a brick underneath the food bowl? I've seen some discussions here that suggest persian cats have better eating habits when the bowl is up off the floor.