Hello from the Mid East

defratos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, Ok I'm new here so be easy on me

So I've been living/working in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for the past 2-3 years (Originally born and raised in the UK, London)

So since I've been living alone for the past few years I've decided to adopt a baby kitten from a friend of a friend.

Now she has told me that these kittens are Persian cats which I understood, but then she said they're Shirazi Persian Cats. Now this confused the heck out of me and even now I'm trying to find what type of breed is a shirazi Persian cat.

So can anyone help me out by looking at the pics below of the kittens and tell me are they Persian cats? are they pure Persian if such a thing exists and what are Shirazi Persian cats? O.O

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The one I'm looking to get is on the right (Light brown)

Second from the left (Light brown)

Basically I want to know what your opinions are on what breed these kittens are. Thanks in advance for any help given.

She wanted to give him to me a couple of weeks back, but I told her I'd rather the kitten spends a few more weeks with her mom and siblings before I take him (from reading up on kittens it seems this is the best suggestion)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I've moved your thread to the Breeder's corner. Some of our breeders and our members that show cats may be able to help you a bit more.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahlan wa sahlan to the forums!

I won't comment on the particulars of the breed (or on the fact that the breeder wants to give them to you too early), but I'd like to refer you to an excellent rescue working out of Riyadh. If you're not to set on getting a purebred, maybe email and inquire with them about rescues in Jeddah. I'm sure you know all about poor street kitties in the kingdom. I joke with my husband that if/when we move to the middle east, I'm going to become a full time cat rescuer.

http://www.openpaws.org/

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very cute!
But do not look like Persians to me. At least not purebred. They could have some in the background though, looking at the head shape, but their noses are way too long, they look more like Brits (which I'm quite sure they aren't either). My bet is on mixed breed (domestic longhair).

The kitten you have chosen is a cream color. They should stay with their mommy until they are atleast 12 weeks old! Congrats for the new kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

defratos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow I didn't expect such a quick and large response, thanks guys, I guess I've found the right forum

Thanks for the advice Rahma, yes you're right there are a lot of cats around here that need some good looking after, but to be honest with living alone and working as well I can put in the time for one cat and it'll be hard for me to justify rescuing another cat because I know I won't be able to look after them

Thanks or the links Jcat

and Also thanks for the help in trying to distinguish them from Persians

I guess what the owner meant when she said Persians is maybe that they came from Iran (originally) because while searching for information about them I also found out there's a city in Iran called Shiraz so maybe there's a link there lol.

Thanks for the help ladies and gents I appreciate it

Oh and thanks Abby for moving this to the relevant section

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

but I'd like to refer you to an excellent rescue working out of Riyadh. If you're not to set on getting a purebred, maybe email and inquire with them about rescues in Jeddah. I'm sure you know all about poor street kitties in the kingdom.
http://www.openpaws.org/
I dont know nothing about a Shirazi Persian. I havent yet looked at the links mentioned in this thread either.

My comment about their looks. Like the others did hinted, they arent any persians of today. Although persians from say 100 years ago - did have noses... So Shirazi Persian may be some sort of old-persian type.
Why not? If there are old type siamese - still breeded by some good breeders, so there may of course also be old type persians. - Or here rather, something in between old and contemporary persian...

OK, as to suggestion about rescue cats.
You did had already agreed on taking this kittens. And the breeder did waited with this kitten especielly for you. You are of course more or less bound to keep your agreement.
But. Most cats do prefer having a company. It is also easier to have two cats, if they are pals, then to have one alone cats. As a rule of thumb. There are always exceptions everywhere.

So, your cat nr 2, or nr 3, may perhaps be such one rescued??

Combining for you the useful with the joyous!

Good luck!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, cuteness or what, they are gorgeous, I want one
Welcome to TCS and I cant wait to see more pics of your baby.x

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brown tabby in the last photo does look like a pet quality Persian.

Is this person a registered breeder? Do they show their cats? do they have shows in the mid east?

defratos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well ladies and gents, I've managed to get pics of the father and mother:

mom:

Dad:

So if this helps anyone identify the breed I'd appreciate it

Oh and BTW I don't think the person I'm buying it off is a breeder, and I highly doubt that they show their breeds in shows and stuff.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Shirazi Persian cat is a Breed in the middle East, mainly found in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc, but not in America or in western countries... It can be a pure breed, and it is considered one of the oldest breeds of cats... It looks a lot like the old Persian cats, the ones with the long noses, but with longer fur. They are not TICA or CFA registered, but they are quite expensive for what I can see around... These kittens look like Shirazi Persian kittens, and mom and dad do look like Shirazi Persian Cats.
If I were you I would research the breeder - the fact this breeder wants do release the kittens so young doesn't sound good to me. A reputable breeder will keep the kittens until at least 12 weeks of age...
What do you know about this breeder?

defratos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for the feedback and info, really appreciate it.

Well as many things in the middle East I don't know too much about the breeder.

it's basically a family of a friend and they have the female Shirazi mom, they've had her since she was a baby. Now as far as I know they got hold of the father from another friend of theirs just to breed.

BUT I do not think she is a breeder as such, because I don't think there are many breeders in this country.

She isn't being pushy about selling them, I told her I'd like him to stay a few more weeks longer with the mom and she's ok with that, she's not in a hurry.

Personally I believe she's not knowledgeable in this field, or not as much as you guys are. I have even asked her questions that she cannot answer so I've done more research on cats in general and Shirazi cats more than her from what I can understand.

I hope this doesn't mean I'll be getting an unhealthy kitten as she seems to really care about them and treats them well. But I don't think she's knowledgeable as to the right age to put them up for sale.

Unfortunately I've already paid her the full amount so she can hold him for me, so I hope there's nothing bad that'll have to make me try and get my money back

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Defratos

BUT I do not think she is a breeder as such, because I don't think there are many breeders in this country.

She isn't being pushy about selling them, I told her I'd like him to stay a few more weeks longer with the mom and she's ok with that, she's not in a hurry.

Personally I believe she's not knowledgeable in this field, or not as much as you guys are. I have even asked her questions that she cannot answer so I've done more research on cats in general and Shirazi cats more than her from what I can understand.

I hope this doesn't mean I'll be getting an unhealthy kitten as she seems to really care about them and treats them well. But I don't think she's knowledgeable as to the right age to put them up for sale.

Unfortunately I've already paid her the full amount so she can hold him for me, so I hope there's nothing bad that'll have to make me try and get my money back
It is no optimal situation with an ignorant "breeder", but is is certainly no crime, as long they are honest in their way. As this one seems to be.

So, its OK after all, I think.

There is completely another matter you think you are dealing with a breeder, but it shows to be a kitten mill and nothing else... Who does do it solely for the profit.

You can perhaps show her some of the books you found, give her adress here, or something like that? Chances are she will only be happy for info and support, if you do it gently and diplomatic...

Good luck and much joy with your new family member when heshe arrives!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As they are not a registered breeder I would be supporting a shelter over someone who is just breeding their cats.

At the very least you need to make sure the Persians are tested for PKD and whatever else good Persian breeders test for.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

At the very least you need to make sure the Persians are tested for PKD and whatever else good Persian breeders test for.

If you feel comfortable and have your heart set in buying from them, then go ahead... You will love them all the same... But missymotus does have a good point, as PKD is a genetic trait in Persians, and a serious disease - you should make sure the kittens are tested for it to be on the safe side ( I am not sure if Shirazi Persians have the same trait, you should research the subject with a breeder or a vet to make sure).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't have a lot of time, I would HIGHLY recommend getting 2 kittens rather than one. Believe or not, it's much easier having two of them, especially if you will be working. A kitten gets up to a lot of mischief, and if you're not there, you will find things destroyed, because the kitten has gotten bored. If you have two, they will play together, and have each other for company when you're not around. I have 2 kitties at the moment and they are the best of friends. Every day they go running around like maniacs chasing each other. They both still come to me for love though

defratos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks once again for the information and advice guys, I'll keep you all updated once I get him hopefully.