Hello from Malta

arjumand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've posted here on the forum before, but never one of these, so here goes.

My cat, Terry, is 18, and picture is my avatar. She was more or less ok until this May, when it was one thing after another - seizures, misdiagnosis, changed behaviour and I was at my wits' end. The second vet (I'm not counting the one in between who just took one look at a very sketchy blood panel with only one value on it and told me she'd be dead in a few months) took one look at her bumpy abdomen and told me she needs surgery and to prepare myself for a cancer diagnosis.

One mastectomy later, and she's much better. The worst thing is that a mastectomy for cats means one entire row of nipples has to go - that's a lot of stitches for her to nibble at, and nibble she did, in spite of cones, t-shirts, and medical shirts. I had a nightmarish three weeks of washing pee and poop out of the medical shirts, and I'm sure she wasn't a fan of wearing clothes in August! 

Now all the fur has grown back you can't see a thing, except that she only has half a dangly tummy - it's like she went in for a tummy tuck! There are still one or two lumps left which the vet couldn't get at in August, but he wants to let her be for now. It's not really a good idea to operate on epileptic cats.

We have another cat in the household, called Grauli (my mother is German, and so our grey cat got called "little grey one". Germans are very imaginative. I'm half German so I'm allowed to say that). She has teeth problems, and has already lost a few, so she tends to swallow her food rather than chew it!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  I'm glad that Terry is doing well, and Grauli is so pretty--I love that light silver coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arjumand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!

Yes, she is pretty, isn't she? She's an ex-stray and we took her in when it was getting too dangerous for her. We know her parentage, though: a neighbour's Persian got out and came back knocked up. When the Persian had the kittens this neighbour threw them out and Grauli was one of them. I hate people sometimes.