Hello From A Lurker

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. So I've been lurking for a while, and I've been learning so much about cat ownership from this site and these forums that I've finally decided to join.

This is my 7.5 month old kitten, Lelia.
20171030_191704.jpg

The story of how Lelia and I ended up together started when I was 6 and told my parents I wanted a kitty or a baby sister. I got the sister, but my parents weren't big into furry pets. I never stopped wanting that kitty and loving calicos especially, though.

28 years later, I'm in a place where I feel I can give a cat a good home and enjoying my boyfriend's cat and really wanting one of my own. I'd looked at the website for the local animal care league but none of their cats were jumping out at me. I knew my mom's friend volunteers with a TNR group that socializes kittens and friendly adults to adopt out, so on a whim I checked their website and they just so happened to have exactly one 4.5 month old calico kitten who was kind of shy and skittish and needed a quiet home and someone with patience. The bf told me she'd be scooped up fast so I expressed interest on Wednesday, spent a couple whirlwind days filling out applications and getting things squared with the landlord and by Saturday I was going to a foster home and taking home my very first cat.

Sometimes I think about how many things had to go right for us to end up together - she had to enter that cage (born feral), no one had to notice her at the two adoption events she apparently attended and hid in the back of the cage for, and I had to check their website at just the right time. It kind of seems like it was meant to be.

Anyway, I've written way too much, so I'll leave it at that and hopefully start doing a little less lurking from now on. I'm so glad to be here.:catman:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
1FDFD0C4-5AFF-4BD8-9D69-C6F64ACD1524.gif
Lurker :lol:, I meant Lari, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
799369BE-3465-4A00-AD93-100320756181.gif

Good to have you joined us and thank you for adopting Lelia. She’s beautiful! :lovecat4::happycat:

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have too Articles | The Cat Site

Do post more photos of Lelia and we have a special thread just for her here in Post pics of calicos, tortieshells and orange cats here!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome! I think she's the prettiest and best kitty ever, though I know I'm biased. I will be sure to post some pictures on the calico thread even if her "orange" blotches are more tan/caramel. And ask questions, too. :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway, I've written way too much, so I'll leave it at that and hopefully start doing a little less lurking from now on. I'm so glad to be here.:catman:
Lari Lari - On the contrary - you've not written nearly enough, nor have you posted anything approaching enough photos of your stunning Lelia; I do hope that we see more of her in the Photo threads.

By the way, welcome to TCS - to all four of you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :hithere: And you didn't write too much at all. It's a sweet story. In fact, I got a bit weepy reading how beautiful Lelia came to be yours.
It only took 28 years, but now along with your "baby" sister, you finally have your kitty. :catlove:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another warm and friendly welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Lelia and you were most certainly meant for each other, obviously it was fate. I look forward to seeing more pics as your precious girl grows up, see you around the forum. :bluepaw:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone. I get a bit weepy myself when I think that she could still be out there in the cold with maybe a litter of her own instead of in my warm apartment enjoying being a baby. I'm glad we found each other and I'm glad I found this forum.

Here's another picture:
20171030_195031_Burst01.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really, tbh. I mean, it's why I bought it since she refuses to use cardboard scratchers and I wanted to give her more options than just the scratching post. But she ends up mostly using it to hide on/crawl under when she's playing with her mouse and chewing on the edge when she really wants to massage the molar. But as long as she has fun with it, I figure that's all that matters.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and your glorious calico! No, not too long. What a lovely story! And by all means, post more pictures. I'm a bit biased toward torties and calicoes, being owned by one myself.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say I think Lelia is one of the most gorgeous cats I have ever seen. :hearthrob: Lari Lari , you are so right, about your meeting Lelia and sharing your life with her. It all fell into place like a plan, the timing, etc. That's how my adopting Speedy came to be, also. A set of perfect details meant to be. All the best to you, from Speedy and R raysmyheart !