Hello Everyone

stormiejoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site. I have 2 adult cats cocoa and ash and we just
adopted 3, 9 week old, orange tabby kittens (fuz, jones, and moochie).
My question is, how many is too many? I only have one of the adult cats
in the house, the other refuses to come in with the kittens here so now
I have 4 cats in the house. I have a fairly large house so it doesn't seem
too much but my parents (who never let me have but very few animals)
are having a fit. I am 33 years old and married with 2 boys but my parents
are treating me like my house is dirty and it's not. I would just like to hear
from other multiple cat owners if you have any tips on keeping the shedding down. My parents won't even eat anything brought from my house because they are afraid of cat hair.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

I have to say, you're an adult and not living in your parents' house. It is not their place to say anything about how many animals are too many for YOUR home. There are people here with more than you have, and although it does take maintenance, keeping a house clean with animals that are by nature very clean is really not an issue.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormiejoe

......and we just adopted 3, 9 week old, orange tabby kittens (fuz, jones, and moochie).
Oh my, I *love* the names of the 3 orange kittens!

To answer your questions, I believe if you do regular household cleanup (vacuum, swiffer, dust etc) and you feed your cats a nutritious cat food and groom them regularly that should control the amount of hair. I do know you probably should groom them even more during the change of season since most cats seem to shed more during these periods.

I only have one cat, but I use a product called Zoom Groom and in my opinion is the best cat brush on the market. It has rubber prongs on it and it does a great job on short haired cats. Here's a link: Zoom Groom

Welcome to the site!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
It looks like you got some great advice so far! I also say it is none of their business about how many pets you have. The more the merrier!! If you have any questions or need any help navigating the boards, please feel free to PM! Have fun!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to add my opinion.

Why would you let your parents dictate how many animals you can have?

Just a thought...
I have 6 cats! 3 are persian, ...ya wanna talk about hair?!

And I have a small 2 bedroom house. It is extra work, but worth every step, or scoop or whatever.

Tell your Momma you're a grown up now and can make your own choices, and if she wont eat anything from your house, so be it....more for you and yours.

I'll shut up now....

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELCOME TO TCS

I pretty much second what everyone else has already said
how many is too many? well that depends on the size of your house & the size of your wallet!!!
Good for you I say!! and I bet your 2 boys just adore all the cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormiejoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies. My only problem is, the house belongs to
my parents. We have rented the house from them for 13
years. We have taken very good care of it so they shouldn't
complain. I also have a question as to how to get my other
adult cat use to the kittens. He refuses to come in the house.
He stays close to the house but will not come inside. He just hisses
at them and runs away.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other cat, Mitzi is the same way about the kitten I got a couple of months ago now. She will hardly come in at all, and when she does it is to eat and she wants right back out. If she does run into the kitten, Lily, she hisses and scares the poor baby and I shush her and she heads to the door, like "let me outa here".
I figure she will have to get over it in her own time, and she is fine outside otherwise. We'll see when the weather starts changing what her mood will be then.
I wouldnt worry about it too much. As long as she has access to food/water and some kind of shelter.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormiejoe

I also have a question as to how to get my other
adult cat use to the kittens. He refuses to come in the house.
He stays close to the house but will not come inside. He just hisses
at them and runs away.
I cant be much help unfortunatly - thankfully when i introduced my second kitten - the hissing stopped after a matter of days.

if you go into the behaviour forum and post some questions in regards to that in there - you should be able to get some great advice!!

good luck - please let us know how it goes
and pictures - has anyone asked about pictures yet????
we love them

edit - I tried to find some of the other posts which give great advice about this - but cant find them just yet - let me have another look and if I find them I will post them

edit again - found a link for you
just click here

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Stormiejoe and welcome!!!!

Sounds like you got alot of great advice!
It may just take time for you older cat to get used to the kittens.
I have 2 new kittens my nephew found abandoned in back of a store, the boy cats are much better with them than the girls were at first, it's been about 2 weeks now (on Thursday) and the girls are much better with them now (not perfect though!
)

Just keep ecouraging him to come in, the more he's around the babies the sooner he will get used to them...whether he is totally happy with the situation after he gets used to them is another story!