Heavily Pregnant Cat Just Wont Give Birth

BirdieandRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is pregnant and she has gotten very big and I keep thinking she's going to go into labor but then doesn't. Last year she got pregnant but had a small stillborn baby in July. This year she's pregnant again and she seems to be doing really well, I've done so much research on how to make sure she and her babies are okay. But she's now at the point where she should be giving birth and has been giving signs of it for days now and I'm a little worried. Any advice on how to know if she's okay and this is normal. I just looked over at her and can see the babies moving inside of her so I feel like she should be close, I've been able to see them moving for at least a week now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T
My cat is pregnant and she has gotten very big and I keep thinking she's going to go into labor but then doesn't. Last year she got pregnant but had a small stillborn baby in July. This year she's pregnant again and she seems to be doing really well, I've done so much research on how to make sure she and her babies are okay. But she's now at the point where she should be giving birth and has been giving signs of it for days now and I'm a little worried. Any advice on how to know if she's okay and this is normal. I just looked over at her and can see the babies moving inside of her so I feel like she should be close, I've been able to see them moving for at least a week now.
The most common is you can feel them move at least 2 weeks before the delivery. Also, usually momma drops a couple of days before the delivery,ie seems suddenly less preg. Before this, its seldom any hurry.
The waiting game isnt easy....
The consolation is, a little too long pregnancy is less dangerous for cats than humans. While if you panic and ask the vet to take them out - IF they arent fully done as yet, this is usually disastrous... Kittens manage badly to be premature, human babies are much better with this.

So, being too long time preg has its risks, I would lie if I said anything else. But on the balance, it weights heavyly for just calmly waiting it out.

Of course do keep watch. If there come alarming signals you will need to consult your vet, perhaps even rush her in.

Rub her belly if she wants and allows. A nice massage for her. :)

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. It sounds like she may have another week or so to go. Just wait!

Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BirdieandRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's still pregnant! I do plan to spay her, she's an indoor cat but she slips past us a couple of times a year, since this has happened twice now we're planning on doing so as soon as we can. I live with my partner and our 3-year-old pup who she doesn't love but she tolerates, she's always kind of been my cat, and now more than ever she's been close to me, so much so that she attacks my dog anytime I go near him if we don't lock her in the bedroom. Is this normal? Does this mean anything? I know cats that are normally more reclusive get more lovey near the end, is it normal that she's being super protective of me? Luckily Stone is a sweet little boy and just lets her go for it haha.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes being extra protective is normal. Separate them so she wont get stressed.

Sandra Kay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
The most common is you can feel them move at least 2 weeks before the delivery. Also, usually momma drops a couple of days before the delivery,ie seems suddenly less preg. Before this, its seldom any hurry.
The waiting game isnt easy....
The consolation is, a little too long pregnancy is less dangerous for cats than humans. While if you panic and ask the vet to take them out - IF they arent fully done as yet, this is usually disastrous... Kittens manage badly to be premature, human babies are much better with this.

So, being too long time preg has its risks, I would lie if I said anything else. But on the balance, it weights heavyly for just calmly waiting it out.

Of course do keep watch. If there come alarming signals you will need to consult your vet, perhaps even rush her in.

Rub her belly if she wants and allows. A nice massage for her. :)

Good luck!
Pregnant cats can delay their labor, mine did and had 13 babies, maybe 2 dads and some babies not full term yet. Maybe get kitten bottles in case of small babies that need extra help with kitten formula, she should be fine, loosing kittens could have been by a injury, my same cat had from jumping off high places.