Heavily pregnant cat being sick

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat is close to 9 weeks and she has started being sick a lot today like every 20 minutes and is not eating anything and is just sitting about what could be wrong with her

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you mean sick? Do you mean she is throwing up every 20 minutes? If so that is not normal and you should get her to a vet.

The not eating and lethargy can be common symptoms once her time is near, though, and I would not worry much about those unless the not eating has persisted for a day or more.  But depending on what you mean by sick, that is worrisome to me and something I would definitely take a queen to the vet for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was throwing up quite a lot this morning I have phoned the vets and they have said just to keep an eye on her and not give her any food until her stomach has settled I can still see the kittens moving about so everything is ok with them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not unusual queens do throw or lose appetite shortly before delivery.  But its of course touchy, as they CAN be sick for real although high preg.

And if they get sick for real, you dont want to take any chances.  There is too much at the stake.

So hold close watch, and if you notice more alarming signs, visit the vet.

During the time, make some home made pedialyte.  For example, some minerale water containing different salts.  Let the gases out, and have in glucose sugar or white caro syrup...  Voilá, a nice home made pedialyte to use as drinking water for one who throws up much liquids, or has watery diarrhea.

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she seams to be fine now she hasn't thrown up since about 2 in the afternoon she's just lost her appetite completely she won't even eat a piece of chicken and she is quite lethargic all she has done since yesterday is sleep do you think she is close to giving birth

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she seams to be fine now she hasn't thrown up since about 2 in the afternoon she's just lost her appetite completely she won't even eat a piece of chicken and she is quite lethargic all she has done since yesterday is sleep do you think she is close to giving birth
Do you know how far she is? "close to 9 weeks" isn't that clear. Before giving birth, some cats do vomit, and some stop eating for around 24 hours. So that's not odd. However, cats are usually restless before giving birth, looking for a spot and not really knowing how to lay down comfortably. Yours is being lethargic, which isn't normal as far as I'm aware. If she's really lethargic and not moving at all, get her to a vet asap. I think something is wrong with either her or her kittens.

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will be 9 weeks on Monday and she gets up and moves when she needs the toilet or a drink but other than that she just sleeps if yo say her name or talk to her she responds and looks bright

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She will be 9 weeks on Monday and she gets up and moves when she needs the toilet or a drink but other than that she just sleeps if yo say her name or talk to her she responds and looks bright
In that case it could be a presign of her going into labor. Today would be her 61st day of her pregnancy, and some cats are this early with giving birth. Day 61 is fine (tomorrow even day 62); the kittens should be okay if they are born today or tomorrow. Keep a good eye on her, if she's not eating, this usually takes max 24 hours before she goes into labor. If she does seem to get worse, more lethargic (other than just sleeping a lot - which is normal for pregnant cats) or continues to not eat without going into labor for the rest of the weekend, you might want to call the vet again on monday. Same goes for vomiting, a little is fine, continues isn't.

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is completely fine now she's wanting food and not throwing up but she is booked into the vets for tomorrow so make sure she and the babies are fine

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear :) It;s possible the kittens were against her stomach, that can also cause some irritation. Maybe they moved away from her stomach again and she's been feeling better since ;)

Let us know how it went at the vet tomorrow! And of course, also when the kittens are born. I'm very curious :D Good luck!

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I will do thank you for all the advice I will post pictures up when they have been born I am super excited now :D !

hjones96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been to the vets today mum and babies are completely fine she was just throwing up because of the kittens putting pressure on her stomach the vet says she should have them within a couple of days