Heatstroke in cats

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The place where I live ,the current temperature these days are 37-38°c (98-99°F) ,and my cat loves going out he wouldn't stay inside and begs to go out after ever hour for like 10-15 mins,and I just found him panting and brought him inside the house and sprayed normal water on his coat it's short haired cat and then he stopped panting,he rarely pants,and he is also lazy these days but he is eating very well,why was he panting and how should I take care of him please explain

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be best to get him to a vet. Panting in cats in not normal and can be caused by many things. I doubt the heat had anything to do with it. You have also described other signs of illness, not eating as much and lethargy.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The place where I live ,the current temperature these days are 37-38°c (98-99°F) ,and my cat loves going out he wouldn't stay inside and begs to go out after ever hour for like 10-15 mins,and I just found him panting and brought him inside the house and sprayed normal water on his coat it's short haired cat and then he stopped panting,he rarely pants,and he is also lazy these days but he is eating very well,why was he panting and how should I take care of him please explain
My suggestion would be provide your cat the opportunity of a "Pet Water Fountain." This gives the cat aerated water that's constantly being filtered and better taste. The fountain will provide plenty of water to help deal with the heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be best to get him to a vet. Panting in cats in not normal and can be caused by many things. I doubt the heat had anything to do with it. You have also described other signs of illness, not eating as much and lethargy.
No he is eating well,he does not play as much

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My suggestion would be provide your cat the opportunity of a "Pet Water Fountain." This gives the cat aerated water that's constantly being filtered and better taste. The fountain will provide plenty of water to help deal with the heat.
Yeah I give him chicken broth to drink he drinks it often.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Provide cool areas in the home for the cat. Dark places like under the bed are good as long as the room is well ventilated. Always provide cool water. A large ice pack, like the kind meant for picnic coolers, makes a great place for a cat to lie down one. Just place a folded towel on top to keep the cat from getting too cold.

What's in the chicken broth? Store bought broth often contains garlic and onions and other things that aren't good for cats. Homemade broth is ok as long as it also doesn't contain anything else but chicken and water.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Provide cool areas in the home for the cat. Dark places like under the bed are good as long as the room is well ventilated. Always provide cool water. A large ice pack, like the kind meant for picnic coolers, makes a great place for a cat to lie down one. Just place a folded towel on top to keep the cat from getting too cold.

What's in the chicken broth? Store bought broth often contains garlic and onions and other things that aren't good for cats. Homemade broth is ok as long as it also doesn't contain anything else but chicken and water.
Thank you for your advice! Yes the homemade chicken broth we give him only contains chicken and water.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, plenty of water and cool places to rest are important, but I also agree that a vet check would be a good idea. When my cat started having trouble tolerating the heat last summer, he turned out to have an underlying health problem that was causing it. If that's the case for your kitty, it's best to find out sooner rather than later in order to treat it.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, plenty of water and cool places to rest are important, but I also agree that a vet check would be a good idea. When my cat started having trouble tolerating the heat last summer, he turned out to have an underlying health problem that was causing it. If that's the case for your kitty, it's best to find out sooner rather than later in order to treat it.
Oh my god, thank you so much!Can you ease elaborate? It would mean a lot.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your kitty ok now? My cat is just 7 months old

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, my cat had heart disease. I'm not saying that your cat has a heart problem or any health problem, just that it's a good idea to check, since he is showing a change in behavior.

Editing to add: since he's so young, maybe he just hasn't experienced hot weather before and didn't know how to pace himself when playing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Texas, USA and our temps will be 95ºF-115ºF during the hottest part of the summer. Our outdoor kitty has several shady places to hang out and some of those never see the sun, so they stay a bit cooler. We provide water for him as well as food 3-5 times a day. He loves it! We don't have a place that's air conditioned for him to stay, unless it's an emergency, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. We do keep an eye on him though.

In your case, I would bring your kitty inside during the hottest part of the day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hot bare pavement and other surfaces can also burn paws. Dogs can at least wear booties but cats won't wear such things. Definitely keep a cat indoors when it gets too hot outside.