Heated cat pad idea

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@JBTO:  it was explained to me by wiser and more experienced souls that male cats are more likely to be dumped because they spray nasty smelling urine when they are looking for female company.  And I think male cats are more ornery when they are looking for female company and cant' find any; female cats in heat are VERY affectionate.  (There is female cat in heat at the cat sanctuary where I volunteer who is very affectionate right now.  Because her health is compromised (FELK+), the sanctuary is reluctant to spade her.  All the other FELK+ males have been neutered.)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 male cats are more likely to be dumped because they spray nasty smelling urine when they are looking for female company. 
Possibly.  Although grown up, adult toms tend to wander away on their own.  Getting unpatient, Seeking females of course.

My eye opener was a couple of different forumites, living in rural conditions. Essentially cat friendly people around. Lots of cats around, and very few spayings /neutering.

They told the same story:  the toms tended to disappear at 1,5-2 years, very few older toms left... They wandered away.  As long as they were young, they could stand their male urges. But when they become fully adult, the urge become too strong, and thus, they tendered to wander away...

Of course, the from beginning no sprayers begans to spray at that time...  

Another may be the most dominant, strongest tom tended to chase the weaker, fully grown toms away.

So in reality it is probably a combination of at least these three factors

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly.  Although grown up, adult toms tend to wander away on their own.  Getting unpatient, Seeking females of course.

My eye opener was a couple of different forumites, living in rural conditions. Essentially cat friendly people around. Lots of cats around, and very few spayings /neutering.

They told the same story:  the toms tended to disappear at 1,5-2 years, very few older toms left... They wandered away.  As long as they were young, they could stand their male urges. But when they become fully adult, the urge become too strong, and thus, they tendered to wander away...

Of course, the from beginning no sprayers begans to spray at that time...  

Another may be the most dominant, strongest tom tended to chase the weaker, fully grown toms away.

So in reality it is probably a combination of at least these three factors

It is probably statistically meaningless, but here I have seen results of two female cats giving birth to 7 kittens in total, there was only one female with these kittens. First one had two kittens, but it might be that some of her kittens never did made from first month or two, only those two I have seen and both males, then other one had 5 kittens I did saw first when 3-4 months of age, those were all males except one being female, never did saw that mother cat actually, just her kittens.

So those that I know there has been more males born/surviving than those of females, which can of course be just random two events, to be any scientific meaning there should be data from preferably hundreds of queens and their litters as variability is probably so great that with just two cases there is no telling really if there are more males born and surviving to adulthood or not.