Heat And Discipline

Creii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

So my 9mo old kitten is spayed and is currently in heat or showing the signs of being in heat. She is annoying but it's fine i know it only lasts a week or so. The problem is my boyfriend thinks that disciplining her for meowing while in heat is a fantastic idea. I am appalled and I just think it's a terrible, awful, abusive idea. Can anyone give their input about either the meowing discipline or the fact she is in heat dispite being spayed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We know whom needs some disciplining here... The BF, of course.

When had she beeing spayed? If recently there may still be hormones inside. If longer back - sometimes some of the tissues are left, and continue to produce some hormones... And yeah, awfully enough, there is a risk she will be in heat now and then... If its very badly, you can try to get the Pill (usually not sold in USA, I know).

We dont recommend longtime use of the Pill, because there is a raised risk of cancer, but if she is spayed, it should be OK.
Discuss this with your vet, perhaps.

Another possibility, she isnt spayed - its not unusual people give away or even sell a female, and tell she is spayed, while she isnt... But its easier to find an adopter / buyer if she is spayed.... So quite often people tell lies here.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
As StefanZ StefanZ mentioned could be left over tissues. I run a rescue and we have a foster in our home who we have had since December. She has been spayed even longer, she has what I call "sympathy heats" every time we get a foster who is in heat she goes into "heat". More often than not she is more annoying than the actual cat that is in heat. She cries sooo loud. She doesn't seem to go into heat on her own, just seems to be responding to their hormones I think. I suspect that she has a bit of ovarian tissue left behind- but I guess we will never know for sure! I do occasionally yell at her while she is "calling" around the house, but as I am sure you know that doesn't work lol. Otherwise it is just waiting a few days until it passes and praying that its done! lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, your boyfriend is being cruel.

You should verify that your cat is fully spayed though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discipline will not stop your cat from meowing, and it is unacceptable to use discipline.

But you can stop your boyfriend from doing anything with your cat. It is not his cat nor his place to decide about your cat.

When was she spayed?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people misuse the word "discipline". . .do you mean he hits her? If so, you need to put a stop to that right now. Call the police if you have to. That's completely unacceptable. If you mean something less abusive (maybe he sprays her or puts her in another room), that's also unacceptable but you wouldn't need to draw such a hard line, but definitely get him to stop. If he is punishing an animal for making noise, make sure he is never allowed near human children.

A spayed cat shouldn't be in heat. That's half the point of spaying! If she's really in heat, let the vet know. They might have missed an ovarian remnant and she'll need another surgery.