Heartbroken...cat Missing For Almost 2 Weeks

drwilcox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old male tabby cat got loose nearly two weeks ago. Unfortunately, my son accidentally left our door open and Lucky got out. We had been so careful to keep him in and I am distraught that he is now missing. Fortunately, he is up to date on immunizations, still has his claws, is microchipped, and is neutered. We live in quite a small town and have posters everywhere. Our city manager has alerted the police and firemen to keep an eye out for him. All animals that are found dead are reported before they are removed from roads. Thankfully, no dead cats have been found. I have been searching high and low and have not seen him yet. We have a lady in town that has several strays around and she has spotted a few orange tabby's lately. I have his litter box outside and have taken my clothes around my yard and driveway. I have also alerted local vets, posted on missing pet sites, all local missing pet Facebook pages, and Craigslist. I am not sure what else to do. At this point I feel hopeless. I have read many successful cat return stories but I am just sick about this. I feel like he won't return! Please share any helpful advice! Thank you for reading and responding.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry! You sound like you are doing all the 'right' things!

The only other thought that came to mind was to spend time outside - best times being dawn and dusk, but do it other times if you can - shaking a bag or can of his favorite treats/food while calling to him. You need to stay in place for a while before moving or going back inside, as it might take some time for him to get to you if he hears you - so take a chair/blanket/etc. with you to sit on. You can do this in spots around your home, as well as sometimes venturing a little further away in directions that you think he might have headed.

I would be doing this every day/night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drwilcox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think I have a good chance of him returning? I continue to look but I'm wondering if he will come home on his own.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since he was indoor only, he is probably hiding out somewhere and scared to try to come back. A neighbor could have taken him in, as well - or is feeding him. Have you done door-to-door inquiries, and left flyers for the neighbors? Perhaps, he got caught in someone's shed or garage?

Many times cats that get out like that are really not far away. I would be asking your neighbors to check any buildings on their property, and underneath decks and things like that where he could be hiding out. But, it is possible he ran a distance away and doesn't know how to get back. If so, he likely would be looking for food around the area he is in and probably doing so when it is dark and quiet out, since he is likely afraid. If the lady who has seen some tabbies lately leaves food out for the ferals, he could be sneaking food from there. If she sees him again, have her call to him by name and give her some of his favorite treats she might be able to entice him with. It probably wouldn't hurt to leave her with a few of your clothes, or towels with his scent on them.

There are all kinds of incidences of cats disappearing for even months at a time; so, don't give up yet - anything is possible.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happened to me many, many times... the cat always came back. You've done all the right things. I know every minute that passes seems like an eternity. It's only been a day. You'll get him back!

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was confused. He has been missing for 2 weeks.

One time I had a cat missing for a month. I left the (uncleaned) litter box outside with a dirty sweatshirt I wore at the gym. He found his way home... starving and disheveled, but after 2 weeks he was back to his normal self.

Have you tried walking around during the day and calling his name? Make every call noise he might recognize. Get all the family and friends involved.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MOST indoor cats who get out are eventually found hiding fairly close to home...sometimes several weeks after they got out. Best times to hunt, as as been said, dawn and dusk. Be sure to take a flashlight, as his eyeshine can give him away. Favorite spots are small, dark and enclosed, but don't forget to look UP, in case he may have been chased up a tree!

The longest I've had a cat gone and return safely is around eight months, but I've heard of and seen them come back even later.