Heart worm meds/flea meds for indoor cats

chery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you all give me your advice about the necessity of heartworm medicine for indoor cats at a time of year when there are no mosquitos? How about any time of year for non-outdoor cats? I just wondered if it is necessary since they are never outside.(lots of big dogs and busy streets around us so we are not taking any chances!) Your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated. We have stopped giving our two fur babies the topical flea medication as the vet said that it probably wasn't necessary because our cats are never outdoors (but I never asked about the heartworm meds). What do you all think about the flea meds as well? Thanks so much in advance for the advise! I LOVE THIS SITE! Thanks so much for hosting it Anne you are an angle kitty!

Misty and ashes thank you too!

Sand paper kitty licks all around!

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use flea meds on my kitties as they are all indoor kits and never go out...so far, many years and kits later - no fleas!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, with the heartworm for cats. Yes, it is possible to get a bite through a screen, but very rare. I would recomend any outdoor cat living in a high risk area to use some prevention.
Flea prevention is really a personal issue. Yes, if your cat really does have fleas or there is a chance, I really do recomend it. I have 11 indoor only cats. During the spring and summer months I apply a topical every 2 months. I also have a dog and he goes in and out. The dog stays on flea and tick topical year round. I do it with the cats during these high risk times just to be safe. There is nothing worse in my oppinion than having a flea population explode in a house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for all of your input! Its much appreciated!
Chery