Heart Murmur?

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

By giving medication - Are you extending the life of your cat, or easing the pain during his remaining years for that heart murmur? 

Interesting opinions guys, thanks for all the feedback.  The difference of opinion is quite something. 
I believe I extended his life by quite a bit. I think if I had ignored it and just figured it was benign, he would not have lived. He could have suddenly died as he had an arrythmia present as well.. Also, the aorta can continue to stretch, as others said, causing a blood clot that would cause death.

chinacat468

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a handful of months I've been going back & forth with getting the echo done. My cat has a grade 3 murmur that has never caused a problem until now. 

The other day his salivary gland ruptured and they were able to drain it some so he could eat again, but normally they would have surgically removed the gland and problem solved. But the vet doesn't want to do it because he doesn't know what's causing the murmur. So although the cat can eat now and is not in pain, if I had done the heart check-up before there was an issue I would have been able to tell the vet right away whether or not he can or can't survive a surgery, and could have possibly shortened the duration of my boy's discomfort or at least known what my options were. So, I'm doing it now.

I'd also like to mention that the shelter didn't pick up on his murmur either and had him under anesthesia for his neutering surgery, and he made it through that. It wasn't until I adopted him (after a few months of fostering) that I found out he had a murmur. Vet listened to his heart for 2 seconds and heard it. No idea how the shelter missed it because it's loud.

tripletk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GET HIM FIXED AT THE VET WHATEVER IT TAKES....that's just being a parent.......get him fixed 100% right away, whatever he needs....he deserves a healthy life, MOM