Hearst Castle and Californian coast

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm a Brissie girl, I haven't seen much of Victoria.

Has anyone been to the Biltmore in North Carolina? Apparently it's the only US mansion bigger than Hearst Castle - I'd love to see it!
Biltmore's quite amazing, but much older-style IMO. Classic, nothing gaudy really. They've opened up a lot of the servants quarters and things in the past 5 years. The gardens are amazing as well, the working farm is neat too.

You can't take pictures inside the Biltmore at all.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! What an amazing place
I love that little staircase and the pool and the entrance...fantastic! Oh and the big ole wobbly sealions? Seals? I forget. Their noses always make me laugh.

Great pics

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We stopped at Hearst Castle on the way to SF, but didn't have time for the tour. It looks spectaular! OMG, those pools made me want to cry!! Is any of that used at all these days?
I want a staircase like that to my bedroom!

Love the musical rumble strips!

It's a spectacular coastline down there and makes for a fantastic drive.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was kinda windy out there...

You're a shampoo commercial!

I've lived in CA my whole life and have never been to Hearst Castle, nor have I driven on those rumble strips. I guess that's a good reason for me to go to Lancaster!

I loved the photos! It was like taking a mini-vacation.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Has anyone been to the Biltmore in North Carolina? Apparently it's the only US mansion bigger than Hearst Castle - I'd love to see it!
My In-laws buy season passes to tour Biltmore. My Mother in law loves the gardens. She's taken tons of pictures there. I'm not sure how far it is from their house; but we've never gone there with them when we've been in town.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Would it be germane to point out that the movie "Citizen Kane" was actually about Hearst?

The rumble strips were interesting. I guess the state of California has too much money, right?
Actually, I had heard about them on some show on NPR.
We have been to Hearst Castle but it took us a long time to get there even though we have lived here for a number of years. First of all, the children have to been 8 or older to go there. When Jenny turned 8, Ben was born. So, another 8 + years to wait.

I have seen some of the grandest palaces in Europe. The Grandest that I have seen - so far - are Versialle, El Palacio Royal in Spain, and the Hapsburg palace, Hearst Castle is an American self-made man's version of it. The indoor pool is spectacular.

Mike, I do know about William Randolph Hearst and yellow journalism. SFNA, the San Francisco Newspaper Agency was my client for a consulting engagement. I knew about the family and I got to work with George Hearst IV, Patti's first cousin (not a topic of conversation). He is the nicest person. I was very young in the business world and when the assignment was over, I asked him to lunch on the company. He said that he would treat me. We went to some exclusive restaurant and he talked casually about playing polo the past weekend and about his wife and kids. Such a gentleman!

BTW, he was working in his position to work his way up in the family business. A good businessman and truly a very nice man.