Heard from a friend of mine that i should go with bayer tapeworm dewormer cheaper than going to the vet=(.

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi got six cats and was wondering if i should use bayer tapeworm dewormer since its cheaper than the vet. Then i was reading reviews on chewy and got all scared one review said the cat got sicker and sicker and died=(. Can that happen????. Should i not go with this because of that? I dont wish death upon them=(. Anyone had a cat die from this stuff? Also does it work lots of reviews say it didnt=(.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bayer also makes Droncit, which is what the vet would give you, so the OTC pill is the same thing (as long as you buy it from an accredited pet pharmarcy---avoid Amazon and eBay). So, sure, it's fine. Yes, all medications can have side effects, nothing in life is totally safe. But that's the same for the vet stuff too.

You might be surprised at the vet's prices. IME, they usually charge the same for Droncit/Drontal as what you pay for the OTC pill. What really jacks up the price is if the vet requires a visit before letting you buy the pills. But if the vet won't require a visit, go ahead and buy the pills from them, or at least ask about their prices.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never used that medication but I do want to say random online reviews are generally not a good way to evaluate what are right drugs for your cat. The people who say a drug “didn’t work” for them probably don’t even know 100% if their cat actually had the parasites it works against.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve never used that medication but I do want to say random online reviews are generally not a good way to evaluate what are right drugs for your cat. The people who say a drug “didn’t work” for them probably don’t even know 100% if their cat actually had the parasites it works against.
Or they didn't follow the dosing instructions for a full course of treatment and somehow expected one dose to miraculously remove all the worms (adult and juvenile and unhatched eggs) immediately:rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm lots of helpful things. Turns out they have a monor flea issue to oh boy lucky i still have some revolution left over so ill use that should i wait before taking them to the vet for the tapeworms could using revolution and then taking them to the vet for the worms kill them? Maybe overdose?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither Revolution nor Revolution Plus treats for tapeworms. You can use Revolution for the flea issue. It might take a few doses to fully get rid of the fleas (apply once a month unless specifically advised otherwise by the vet) in addition to the usual suggested frequent combing to remove fleas and the sticky eggs off the cat, vacuuming, washing blankets and the like the cat sleeps on in hot water, etc.

Using both Revolution and a separate tapeworm product at the same time is safe. If you have concerns, it's best to discuss them with the vet.

lizzy7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bayer tapeworm contains praziquantel which is exactly the same thing what you will get at the vet. And the same strength too...

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. The problem of not going to the vet is if you don’t know what’s going on with the cat. The problem with going to the vet is the vet visit fee, getting all your animals UTD on vaccination if they aren’t, and providing stool samples for testing before dispensing any kind of treatment.

I am treating my 9 for roundworm and tapeworm for which they have symptoms. I am treating them with generic Drontal (the combo) for dogs and the brand Revolution for dogs through canadian pharmacy to cut down costs. *Don’t use any dog supplies on cats unless you know what you are doing as you could kill them with wrong drug and wrong dose.*
I can get almost 2 rounds of 9 cat sized doses out of the Drontal tabs for $20
and 6 months of 9 cat doses of Revolution for $160.
Hopefully 2 rounds of Drontal will be enough for my fleet to do maintenance with Revolution.
I was told to give the Drontal and Revolution treatments one day apart my repeat in 2wks for severe infestation.
Having 9 cats (3 plus a rescued family of 6) in our current income it has been quite challenging. Everything x9! We have food and shelter down pat now but I am learning to manage parasites as the cats have all recently moved in together and moved to indoor-outdoor status. The benefits of having cats indoors all the time is great.