Healthy cat stopped grooming sick cat

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I am just being sensitive. Before the little one got sick, they always used to groom each other. I was really hoping the healthy one will groom the sick one since he is sick and doesnt groom as much. But that doesnt seem to be happening. Is it a thing, where a healthy cat wouldnt groom a sick cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It can be challenging to know what is in their minds - maybe the sick cat doesn't want the attention?

What is wrong with the little one? Can you brush him/her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Furballsmom,

The little one has been sick, we just found a mass in his brain :( We dont know yet whether it is cancerous and we might never know, because mass is at a location where it is very risky to even do biopsy.

Several times they were lying together on their favorite ottoman/loveseat, and usually when that happens the older one always groom the little one, and vice versa. I dont feel like the little one doesnt want to be touched, when he was really sick a week or two ago (he is a bit better now after the ER) he would always hide and wouldnt be on the ottoman/loveseat.

And yes i have been brushing him, it is just an observation that makes me curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was on the ottoman, he actually started grooming the older one but no reciprocation :headscratch:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In some ways cats are not that much different than people. Your older cat can sense something going on with the little one and it may be bothersome to him(?), and s/he feels reluctant to carry on as normal. There are nurturing and non-nurturing cats just like there are humans. Some cats will dote on sick ones, others tend to be reserved.

Maybe more time is needed, now that the little one is back to using the ottoman, before the older cat will relax and start behaving more normally. Sometimes it just has to do with getting used to a new situation.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's normal behaviour for cats. We can't tell a cat that they can't catch what the other cat has and their instinct is to not get ill.