Healthy but affordable canned food

ben casper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Based on recommendations here on the forum (i read a lot of your posts so thank you!):

I think Nutro is a good quality food. There are several varieties that do not contain carageenan.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got two cases of Dave's Pet Food from chewy.com. They look like a great canned food for a great price!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to aim for 27¢ an oz or lower. I do this by buying in bulk when food is on sale and using coupons and rewards. I end up buying a lot of the Nature's Variety instinct dog canned (because the formula is the same for cats and dogs) and then buy Wellness, Soulistic, Avoderm, Solid Gold and Canidae when it's on sale.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try to aim for 27¢ an oz or lower. I do this by buying in bulk when food is on sale and using coupons and rewards. I end up buying a lot of the Nature's Variety instinct dog canned (because the formula is the same for cats and dogs) and then buy Wellness, Soulistic, Avoderm, Solid Gold and Canidae when it's on sale.
I was wondering if the Rabbit and Beef in the dog food in Nature's Variety is the same as the canned cat food.

After a year of trying to find out what my colony of feral cats are having an issue with I have come to the conclusion that it's Chicken and Turkey. They also can't have anything with chicken liver either. Do you know if these two I mentioned have chicken liver in them?

I already know they can't have Brewers yeast, Brewers rice, soy, beet pulp and corn. I then have one cat who can't have peas in the cat food but I think I have her issues under control right now with the food I came up with her. I also have another one that can't have Salmon or Tuna in the food.

This colony is putting me in debt and because they can't eat cheap foods anymore it doesn't leave me any money for my food but I can't stop feeding them as I have been feeding them since 2009. They just slowly started to have issues with their regular food about 2 years ago.

I have them on Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry, they are doing good on that but it's not their favorite food. They don't like the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck canned food.

I just don't know what to do anymore and they are causing me so much stress. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of the regular NV, the beef, venison, rabbit and salmon are all chicken and turkey free. They also make LID diets, which of course only have one protein in them. So you could feed lamb duck rabbit and pork from that.

With all the allergies they have, have you thought about feeding them raw? Most animals are not allergic to the raw forms of protein, which means you could feed them chicken as one of the proteins, which you can get for very cheap.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are doing fine eating Dave's. I have two cats that will eat any type of wet food and one that likes most canned foods, so I've done fine with ordering cases of foods that I haven't tried before.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So how much wet food should young cats consume daily? They each get 3 oz in the morning, 3 oz in the late afternoon and 1.5 oz in the evening.  My Bengal is getting fat on this diet....my Bombay is sleek and fit. But they are always hungry.  I don't know if I'm feeding them enough, but like I said, my Bengal is chunky. Advice??

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So how much wet food should young cats consume daily? They each get 3 oz in the morning, 3 oz in the late afternoon and 1.5 oz in the evening.  My Bengal is getting fat on this diet....my Bombay is sleek and fit. But they are always hungry.  I don't know if I'm feeding them enough, but like I said, my Bengal is chunky. Advice??
How old are they? Why do you say your Benagl is chunky? How much does your Bengal weigh? How much does your other cat weigh? 

Do you watch them when they eat? Could your Bengal be eating any left over portion of your other cats food?

What do you mean by "always hungry"? Do you feed only wet, or do you also feed dry?

wolkenkaiser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish my cat weren't so stuck on dry food! At 1½ years old it's no big deal, but I want her eating some soft food, too. She wouldn't even lick the steamed plain chicken I left by her food bowl!

If you're looking to budget, make the wet food perhaps a third of the daily food. For my ten-pound cat that means only an ounce a day.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats surely can be opinionated on what to eat, more so than dogs. I dog sat my mother-in-law's poodle and she would go and eat out of my cat's dish.
Dogs will go into cats litter boxes and eat their poo!