Health Update On My Husband

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't posted for a while but just want to catch everyone up. If your remember, Paul was diagnosed with a very rare skin cancer called Merkel Cell Carcinoma. He is now undergoing immunotherapy treaments with a new FDA approved drug for this condition which is called Avalumab. It is administered via infusion, in the same way chemo is done. However, this doesn't have the bad side effects and the therapy targets this particular condition He has had 2 infusions so far and after the first one the bumps on his head shrunk dramatically. So it looks like this is working. I have heard from people on the Merkel support group page who have had dramatic results with Avalumab, even in cases where it spread to the lungs, liver, etc. So keep your fingers and toes crossed. Hopefully things are looking up. It will be a lifelong battle as this condition can come back, but thank goodness for this new wonder drug and our dedicated and caring doctors.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news. I'm so glad the new protocol is working for him.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What fantastic news! I'm so glad this treatment is working for him and my fingers are crossed that he continues to improve. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:. The immunotherapies have so much promise - there is one in the pipeline for leukemia as well that has been getting a lot of good press. Best wishes to both of you.

flowers for Susan1.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great news. I'm so glad he's doing better. Please let him know that we are thinking if him and hope that he continues to improve. :vibes:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Lana, I am so happy to read that he's doing well! It's so nice to hear from you.