Health Issues with New Kitty

AmandaL1417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had our new kitty for about a month. He had a cold but he was getting over it, they sent us with some eye ointment. His only symptom at first was just a bit of eye discharge. We continued it as normal for the first couple of weeks, we stopped because it seemed to bother him and he seemed to be doing better. Throughout this time he sneezed occasionally. After about a week he started back with worse eye discharge, and a snotty nostril. It seems to be isolated to one side of his face. We thought it might just be allergies since he felt fine otherwise. Over the last couple of days his energy level has gotten really low. We set up an appointment with our vet but the soonest they can see him is Thursday. Anyone had a cat with these symptoms? I have a bad feeling that Thursday is too long to wait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmandaL1417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's about 1 year old btw.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like there's an upper respiratory infection brewing, which is common for kitties in new homes. I would suggest using L-Lysine, 500mg twice a day for now and maybe adding in a daily antihistamine, 1/4 of a plain Claritin (loratidine). Ask your vet about these things. Also, if he's eating well, playing well, and using the box ok, then he'll be fine until Thursday. If he's lethargic, stops eating, and has decreased use of the litter box, that's cause for concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmandaL1417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My main concern is the lack of playing. He was such an energetic boy at first. Less than 24 hours til the appointment. I'll ask about those things, thank you!!