Headaches, Migraines, Tensions anyone?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I also suffer from migraines. They're related to certain times of the month for me, combined with some other triggers. I found my triggers to be chocolate
, lack of caffeline, certain cheeses and a few other things. I get hyper-sensitive to smell prior to an attack, even imagining smells, so I think this is my aura. Attacks themselves are horrible and involve intense headache in one side, vomitting, nausea and sometimes diareha as well. I usually feel awful until I vomit, and then I gradually get better, only remain dazed for a few days. I found that the migraines also effect my speech abilities for as long as 2-3 days after an attack. Funnily, they do not effect my typing skills too much lol

And time to do some self-promoting (gotta love being the admin
) - I have a migraine site, and while I haven't updated the migraine blog there in a while, there are still some good articles there, I think -
http://www.migraine-notes.com

BTW, if anyone here has pages on their website/blog about their migraine and find my site about them useful, I'd really appreciate links to it

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willie'sLove

Thanks for all the help everyone, and ill try those massage techniquesa!

Actually, I find that when I have sugar, I get a migrane, so soda would definitely not help at all.

I forgot to really mention that my neck hurts like everyday. And over the past few months, whenever I get a migraine, my neck hurts.

Sometimes, my mom does a quick massage on my upper back and that helps so much. I need one tonight.

These things make me so madddd!!! It even makes me cry!
I know what you're going through. I started getting them when I was about 9 or 10, and we had to try so many medicines to find something that would make them happen less often. I hope your doctor is able to help you soon! Meanwhile, just hug Willie when you don't feel well. I find that it helps. Also, have you tried a hot pad? I have one of those things that is filled with beans or something that you can warm up in the microwave. It seems to help some.

I don't get a true aura. I get what they call a "prodome." It happens earlier than an aura and doesn't have flashing lights or weird smells. Instead, I get intense food cravings, get really tired, and often I'll get really hot and then really cold. The hot and cold thing tends to worry people around me, but it's a good warning. It'll happen maybe 2-4 hours before the headache starts to come on.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Also, have you tried a hot pad? I have one of those things that is filled with beans or something that you can warm up in the microwave. It seems to help some.
i have one of these, too, but i keep mine in the freezer. i like cold with my migraines. the weight also helps, & it also blocks out light beautifully!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I hope you find a solution to your headaches. I have to say, I found the responses to your thread very interesting. When I was growing up, it seemed I was the only one getting headaches. It was so hard and I always had the feeling that people thought I was faking. They didn't understand that I would rather go to summer school than have one of those headaches. Your thread showed me that I wasn't the only one.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in Highschool I missed 3 semesters because of Migranes I was forced to stay in a dark room and get home schooling. I was miserable then by the time I turned 16 they just up and went away. I was teded for everything, electrosed on ym head, various ct scans, MRi, blood tested everyting you can imagine. The thing that helped me the most was meditation.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i have one of these, too, but i keep mine in the freezer. i like cold with my migraines. the weight also helps, & it also blocks out light beautifully!
I used to like cold, too. Then I tried hot and liked that better. I know it's different for different people though.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fighting one off desperately as we speak. It started yesterday, as a tension headache....dog pee on my just washed bathroom carpet, litter from the kitten everywhere, not to mention he is one ripe little man
, raccoons that tore trash all over my yard, shredded newspaper from the litter box (due to LGirl's spay) strewn through the house (thanks to the kitten who thinks it's a blast to run around with poopy newspaper in his mouth), spilled kitten milk all over the floor, a dog that won't eat and he has to in order to get his evening insulin shot, and a headache in the works....did I mention that my guilty pleasure is watching General Hospital....which was 1/2 missing due to the 9/11 memorial.... and the headache has carried over to today.

Triggers for me: lack of eating is a big one, lack of caffine, too much sunlight (i.e. must buy more sunglasses.....
), loud noises (sirens, movies that you have turned up to hear the dialogue and then they blast your eardrums out with music without warning), traffic or anything really stressful.

sharky:
chocolate
caffenine
alcohol
Wait, these are the 3 basic food groups?!?! What else is there????

I see a chiropractor regularly, like anywhere from 1-2 a week to once a month. This helps to keep my bones in place and loose....it's also almost like the spa, you get electro therapy on certain muscles (which ever ones you think need it), and a moist (that's the key moist) heat pack over your entire back & neck for a good 15 minutes, and it's heavy so that helps. I'm getting a massage today, they are the BEST. I wish I could send my hubby to massage school.... Ideally, I'd love to see the massage therapist 1-2 times a month, but it hasn't been working out that way. My pain and migraines also stem from an auto accident in 2002....not my fault either.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help everyone! These responces helped me SO MUCH!!!

I am actually waiting for my results to my MRI and it should hopefully help!