Head shaking after eating

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My kitten has sour breath and shakes her head like she has something going on in her mouth after eating but I can’t find anything.. neither could the vet (she was thr for a different issue so ask him to look as well) I thought maybe someone here has encountered this before.. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal but she doesn’t eat much at one sitting due to acid reflux ( also an issue I can’t seem to get rid of just manage) and this seems to be making her want to eat even less.. she is only 4 months and I thought she could be loosing a tooth but I have had my finger in her mouth as well and nothing feels loose like tht.. any ideas??
Thanks!
Amanda

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
she is only 4 months and I thought she could be loosing a tooth but I have had my finger in her mouth as well and nothing feels loose like tht.. any ideas??
Thanks!
It could be something to do with the teeth. Since she's 4 months old, she is going through changing a new set of teeth in progress and by 7 months old, all her adult teeth will be in. So it's only 3 more months to 7 months and this could be the likely cause.

The other thing is there could be food lodged between her teeth and that's why she's shaking her head in order to get the stuck food on her teeth. My boy sometimes have food stuck in his teeth while he's eating and he'll shake his head trying to loosen the stuck food.

Since she's been checked by the vet, this are the tow things I can think of as to why she shake her head.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My kitten has sour breath and shakes her head like she has something going on in her mouth after eating but I can’t find anything.. neither could the vet (she was thr for a different issue so ask him to look as well) I thought maybe someone here has encountered this before.. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal but she doesn’t eat much at one sitting due to acid reflux ( also an issue I can’t seem to get rid of just manage) and this seems to be making her want to eat even less.. she is only 4 months and I thought she could be loosing a tooth but I have had my finger in her mouth as well and nothing feels loose like tht.. any ideas??
Thanks!
Amanda
Since she has digestive problems that could be the reason for her sour breath and maybe not related to her mouth ( teeth)

As tabbytom tabbytom has mentioned at her age she could be experiencing discomfort while eating at this time when her permanent teeth are coming-does your Vet specialize in cat heath ,do they do dentistry there?

There's so many reasons why a kitty can be shaking their head- but since you said it's only after eating that pretty much narrows it down- may I ask what she's eating? Eating can be pretty uncomfortable during teething ...

You might want to try soft chew toys with catnip and freeze some low sodium chicken broth ice cubes to lick and chew it can help soothe teething pain

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Kwik Kwik I'm also inclined to wonder if the head shaking is connected to the eating issues.

When does your cat vomit, Amanda? Does she vomit up "empty" stomach acid between meals? Or does she regurgitate food that she just ate? We've seen both with one of our cats and both can be caused by acid but knowing what, exactly, is happening would help for giving suggestions! Also, what is she eating? And what is her name? ☺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she has digestive problems that could be the reason for her sour breath and maybe not related to her mouth ( teeth)

As tabbytom tabbytom has mentioned at her age she could be experiencing discomfort while eating at this time when her permanent teeth are coming-does your Vet specialize in cat heath ,do they do dentistry there?

There's so many reasons why a kitty can be shaking their head- but since you said it's only after eating that pretty much narrows it down- may I ask what she's eating? Eating can be pretty uncomfortable during teething ...

You might want to try soft chew toys with catnip and freeze some low sodium chicken broth ice cubes to lick and chew it can help soothe teething pain

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Kwik, lishae, and furballs mom
Sorry thought I should answer everyones question at once .. I give her Weruva kitten chicken and pumpkin. She eats this with small meals 4 times a day.. then she free feeds on halo dry food. I have changed her food and this seems to be the best results we have had so far with food compatibility. I alsotry my best to restrict any high speed play after she eats for 15 min. And I spread her small portions out over a 4” sized plates. These things seemto help with theacid reflux. She also never vomits just gags and has what I would describe as a wet belch .. with the food changes and play restriction time seems to help her acid reflux..we have really only had a couple of days where her symptoms showed.. I’m going to try feeling around in her mouth after her next meal to see if I find a spot food might be getting stuck.. I don’t see any when I lift her lip but that dose not let me see all the way in the back.. she is very good abt me touching in her mouth I have worked with her to not mind all these things.. thanks!

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A Adhake try to elevate her food bowl as well. This along with what you are currently doing will help her acid reflux. Also is she on an antacid for her acid reflux?
She is still kinda small with the elevated bowls I have found and dose not get it the proper position to eat. She is on Pepcid yes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Kwik, lishae, and furballs mom
Sorry thought I should answer everyones question at once .. I give her Weruva kitten chicken and pumpkin. She eats this with small meals 4 times a day.. then she free feeds on halo dry food. I have changed her food and this seems to be the best results we have had so far with food compatibility. I alsotry my best to restrict any high speed play after she eats for 15 min. And I spread her small portions out over a 4” sized plates. These things seemto help with theacid reflux. She also never vomits just gags and has what I would describe as a wet belch .. with the food changes and play restriction time seems to help her acid reflux..we have really only had a couple of days where her symptoms showed.. I’m going to try feeling around in her mouth after her next meal to see if I find a spot food might be getting stuck.. I don’t see any when I lift her lip but that dose not let me see all the way in the back.. she is very good abt me touching in her mouth I have worked with her to not mind all these things.. thanks!
This is all really helpful. As heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 suggests, it's also good to elevate her dishes. We have little platforms for Edwina's food, even two or three inches off the floor helps. Basically, whatever it takes to keep from making her neck bend down too much when she's eating. We do many of the same things you're already doing -- spreading out the food and limiting play before an after eating.

It sounds like she's regurgitating. Does she do these "wet belches" (that's such a great description) shortly after she eats, bringing up lots of food so it looks almost like a sausage on the floor? If so, that's regurgitation rather than a vomit and often the mechanics of the cat's eating contribute. (Our vet and I had a whole conversation about "is it vomit or is it regurgitation"!) Or is she vomiting up just stomach acid several hours after meals?

With Edwina, we've found that the best way to prevent regurgitation is to feed a lot of small meals. We do all those other things you're already doing but the amount of food at any one meal is the most important. If your cat's a rescue who came to you hungry and thin (as Edwina came to us) she may be especially likely to regurgitate, from eating too much too fast.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still kinda small with the elevated bowls I have found and dose not get it the proper position to eat. She is on Pepcid yes.
Awww-,Itty bitty kitty....I like Furballsmom Furballsmom idea,a little book or something to bring the bowl a little higher

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job-really,all the best courses of action and a good diet..

I do think she's teething,try those broth ice cubes,it might relieve the discomfort.....Cats only know something hurts and shaking her little head is all she knows to do-poor baby

Yes,feel around you csn slso try a syringe to flush her mouth too with water' thst might dislodge something if it's stuck..... you know how you can have a stupid teeny thing between your teeth and it feels like a plank,right?

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I will try the broth cubes I do the crunchy wash cloth and she likes to chew and play with tht it Also helps keep her a bit chill after she eats 😝 the syringe wash is super! mush smaller than my finger so probably work so much better! I do I hate getting things in my teeth! Thanks for the help!!!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I will try the broth cubes I do the crunchy wash cloth and she likes to chew and play with tht it Also helps keep her a bit chill after she eats 😝 the syringe wash is super! mush smaller than my finger so probably work so much better! I do I hate getting things in my teeth! Thanks for the help!!!
If you could get a syringe like this.. I used one when I had my wisdom teeth cut out before they came in to be sure no food was in the holes... it is just a normal syringe but the tip is thinner and a little longer to let the water actually squirt gently. It is not sharp at all, it is all plastic. The ones I attached come with both curved tips and straight tips this way you could see which one would work with your kitty. This is perfect for flushing any food between teeth.

Below is a link to the syringes Im talking about. I hope this helps and I think chewing the frozen wash cloth is a great idea along with the broth cubes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W4SL3X3/?tag=thecatsite

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a strong caution against any attempt at "flushing"/syringing water into your kitten's mouth, A Adhake !

Cats are particularly susceptible to aspirating liquids - to breathing them in. This often results in a serious, sometimes fatal form of pneumonia.

Cats are accustomed to only have the tiniest amounts of liquids in their mouths. Think about how they drink, how little water adheres to their tongues. A large amount of water in there can frighten the cat, exacerbating the chance for panic and choking on the water.

Just don't do it!

I'm wondering where the idea of "acid reflux" came from.....can you elaborate on that? And, about that "she doesn’t eat much at one sitting", well, that's the very nature of cats, small frequent 'meals'.....likely why your four small spaced portion routine is working so well.

There may be something awry in her throat/esophagus, perhaps in the roof of her mouth (palate) - a thorough exam under sedation by an experienced, competent Vet is likely the best way forward. Is your clinic a feline-only practice?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Anytime-yes,be encouraged because you are doing so well

As far as flushing out the teeth I see concern for choking the kitten- I'm sure you understand it's for the teeth and not to go down the kitties throat ....with their little face down,not back your simply running water along the teeth......I might have a video of me demonstrating if you're in doubt and if I can find it.....

Have you ever brushed a cats teeth? You mentioned your kitty is very used to you doing these types of things so she shouldn't be frightened,I too accustom all of mine to all types of handling-theres plenty of videos( not my own) on tooth brushing as well,they've got teeny little kits with a finger sheath,little brush and special tooth gel for cats..... again,you always want the cat relaxed with head forward and downward-

I asked earlier if your Vet did dentistry or if they have one there? I'm not sure you saw that.... thst was my question after your Vet examined kitty and found nothing

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as flushing out the teeth I see concern for choking the kitten- I'm sure you understand it's for the teeth and not to go down the kitties throat ....with their little face down,not back your simply running water along the teeth..
This is very important. If you do decide to use a syringe make sure to keep the kitten calm and looking down towards the floor. Do not even attempt it if you can't get kitty looking down at the floor.

If she is accustomed to you messing around with her mouth would you be able to brush her teeth?

Adhake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello everyone,
Ok so I wouldn’t use a syringe so much tht it would create large amounts of water.. plus she is very comfortable with me in her mouth. I decided anyway y’day to use a wet stop to try on her tiny mouth and it worked just fine. And yes thr was tiny bit of food. As this is possibly the issue I decided I will just brush her teeth after her last wet meal at night.
To answer the acid reflux question.. she has been examined by the vet and gotten an X-ray. Thr was no sign of anything and the only thing left is to scope her. I’m not doing that for now as the stress an expense is more cons than pros at this moment. She was a feral kitten and when i trapped her and (recently her mom a very difficult cat to catch) The vet thinks it is something she will grow out of given she is getting proper nutrition and vet care now. My vet is good and trust me I live in LA and he was hard to find. Lots of vets few good ones . Please note I’m not a beginner pet owner and would never do anything to my animals unless I was certain I knew they would come to no harm. It’s just been since I was a kid tht I cared for a kitten. Adult cats ( mostly seniors) have been my focus of care. So I feel like I have questions and I know this is the best place to ask as thr is so much valuable experience on this site. Thank you to everyone for your help!!