Head butting cat

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My has this thing with headbutting. He gets every bit of attention he deserves. He also kinda has his mouth half open and rubs agains you with his canines ouch. He doesn't bite. Why do cats headbutt?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
he's rubbing his scent on you, claiming you as his'
it's a sign of affection!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just their way of showing affection.
Holland head bumps me ALL the time. Like your cat, she also does it when she wants attention. Nothing like being woken up at 3:00 in the morning with aggressive head-butting!!

Here's my interpretation of Holland's most used headbutts: when she does it to my forehead, she's very gentle, I think it just means "I love you, mom"
. When she wants pets, she will headbutt my hand. If I am sleeping or doing something on the computer, she will keep at it with increasingly forceful headbutts until I drop whatever I am doing to focus on petting HER.
If I am standing or walking anywhere near the kitchen, she will headbutt my leg, which I'm pretty sure means she thinks it's time to eat.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's the way they mark each other as "clan". Cats who live together in a sort of loose social structure will do that to each other, so when they smell their own scent on the other cat, they know that the other cat is not hostile. It's a way of saying "Mine!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Yeah, that's the way they mark each other as "clan". Cats who live together in a sort of loose social structure will do that to each other, so when they smell their own scent on the other cat, they know that the other cat is not hostile. It's a way of saying "Mine!"
Gotcha!!! I was just wondering my tiger head butts and likes to rub up against me.
It's cute and also can be annoying when i try to use the bathroom lol..I am doing my hair and i am waiting for him to head butt me to the floor

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat does that to me all the time. I never knew why. Now I know. Thanks everyone for telling me this.