He stole my heart and won't give it back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know? I looked up cat acne. It might be that. The volunteer said it was flea poop "from the massive infestation" and I just assumed she was right. I'll ask the vet.

I'm too paranoid for my own good sometimes. I won't have internet for the next couple of days so I'll let you guys know if it was my paranoia, or if it was something real after he sees the vet. XD

And I'll post pictures then too. I just need to find my camera or my bluetooth adapter so I can upload photos.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitty. I am sorry for all the shady things the adoption center is doing/did in his case. I had a similar thing happen at a REPUTABLE shelter in my area when I adopted Bear. He was sick - and they KNEW it too. I have no doubt in my mind! He was not on the website and they lied to me about his health. I still get so mad when I think about it. He was so bad off that he had to go back to the shelter because I could not continue to expose my older cat to him. Blue got it and we almost lost him...TWICE due to the negligence of the shelter in the first place. The list of lies was a mile long and I am still not sure they are telling me the truth about what happened to him after he "miraculously got better."
I have found that the facts are not always forthcoming. It seems a lot of places are more interested in moving the animals than finding them great homes or treating their medical problems to reduce the risk to other animals in potential homes...and that breaks my heart.

Sorry - off my soapbox. I am excited to see pics!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he was treated with Advantage, Revolution, or Frontline, he won't have ANY fleas after a very few hours.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is with Advantage (in my case anyways) is you HAVE to treat twice. I brought in a flemish giant rabbit that was soooooo flea infested it was CRAZY, he could barley open his eyes because the fleas were just swarming. Of course it was a Sunday so I contained him the best I could until Monday....but of course it wasn't enough. Within a few weeks the rest of the crew had fleas, I got Advantage for everyone, treated them and thought I was done. Nobody had any more fleas.

30 days passed and I never treated again, silly me thought one dosage would do it...WRONG after another few weeks we noticed fleas on our Schnauzer again...CRAP. Treated everyone again and my vet said that they need 2 doses (one every 30 days) to successfully get completly rid of them and sometimes they recommend a 3rd dosage just in case.

Your kitty is gorgeous and it's amazing how they choose us

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mrblanche; I thought that too. The flea may have been from anywhere tho. The house I was living in was flea infested, and the flea may have come off my clothes or blankets. The hotel I was staying in was really dirty, so the flea may have come from there. I've been checking for fleas and that was the only one I saw.

BlueRexBear; I asked about why Buddy wasn't on their website. I thought that was curious. They may have known he was sick, and thats why he wasn't on the website. I also thought it was odd that some people said he was only there for days or weeks, and others said he was there for months. A lady who worked at Petsmart said that he'd been there "off and on" for the past "several" months, but a volunteer at the shelter said that he'd "only been with us for a couple weeks".

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We made it to West Virginia today. We unloaded the car, put all of the animals in my bedroom, and then my friend took us out to dinner. When I got home Buddy was hiding in the back of the closet shaking, and it took us 10 minutes to get him to stop shaking. He actually thought we'd abandoned him! =(

I'm gonna see about setting up a vet appointment tomorrow. There's a vet around here that has an in-office laboratory. If they don't charge an arm and a leg I'll take him there.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor guy!! Give him lots of loves and attention and hopefully he'll be okay.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story warms my heart. I have 2 cats and know that is my limit. It's hard for me to go into PetSmart without wanting to take one or more home. Buddy is very lucky to have you. Keep us posted and post pics when you can!