he is a she and pregnant! help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i thought she was tabby but according to all the books i have read she is a mackrel....or something along those lines, brown,black and a tiny bit of ginger on top of her head xx

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mackerel is one of the tabby patterns.  The others are ticked, spotted and classic.  How about a photo of her?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

skully and her babies, also ihave not changed the bedding in her box should i? when? how?x
:heart3::love::heart3::thud:
Skully looks like a brown patched mackerel tabby. Genetically brown and black are the same color. The patched part is the red (or ginger) on her head, plus she may have other red patches that we can't see in the pictures. Mackerel tabby is the striped pattern.

You could change the bedding when you weigh the kittens. Pick up mama cat and kittens all togeter with the bedding and set them to the side. As you weigh each kitten put it in the nest with fresh bedding. Mama will get herself in with the kittens.

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
first weigh in complete

red...121g

black and white...112g

and spotty...a tiny 92g

bedding changed, skully did not like me weighing them x

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the darlings!!

She is probably a first-time mom and a little anxious about her kittens. She wants to keep them in sight at all times. :) It will be easier to handle them as they get older and she gets more relaxed. If she is not upset by it, you can touch the kittens and cuddle Mom so that the kittens get to know your smell. At this age, smell and touch are really their world; they can't hear or see yet.

I am quite glad there were only three. That is hopefully a manageable number to find homes for. Skully looks like she is taking to motherhood very well. She looks relaxed and the kittens are round and latched on firmly.

You've simply got to keep posting photos! I love seeing kittens grow up.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
92g is a good size - it just looks small next to the others.

I can't see any ginger on Scully but it can be hard to find on a cat that doesn't have any white.  If you check her pads, are they all black?  No pink patches?

Fleece is better than towelling for bedding, if you have any.  It's easier to wash and dry and doesn't have the loops that towelling does that tiny claws can catch in.

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she has 2 pure black paws and two that are a mix. its only a tiny bit of ginger like thumb print size.just behind her ear.

there was fleece in there, she wouldnt settle untili put the towel with her. the blue towel is hers since she came to us i thought for the purpose of comfort it would be good for her to have during birth...usually its on her spot on the sofa so once its been boil washed it will be back on the sofa.

x