Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cersiey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh and if you want a clicker, Pet Supplies Plus should have some. If you can't find one, I can send you one. Just send me a PM and tell me ya want one.
I feel I do need a clicker and I am unable to locate one in local pet stores I will sure let you know. Thank you for being so kind and helpful.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you may also wannna try lemon peel, i've read that cat's usulaly don't like the smell of lemon. Also it avoid the trouble that the cat will go after the table and off limit zone when you r not around to say "no" or use the clicker.
i actually use slices of lemon and it works fine for my Nana.

She's a eight month old and very curious. actually i pick her up and hold her in my arms then i walk around the house, let her smell the table and kitchen counter, my bedroom...etc. thoses area she's interested in but not allow to go.
i do that everyday for the first two weeks, so she learns that she's only allowed to check out those area when i hold her in my arms. and if she intends to climb up the table on her own i roll up a magazine and do a big "bang" sound. ..now she wont' go to those areas that she's not suppose to go.

i'm not sure if that would help in ur case, but i hope things to could out for you soon!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You can hiss at them too, that language they do understand.
And then after we hiss at them, how do we make up? Lick their cute kitty faces?
But seriously, how do you say, in cat, I love you?

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

Actually cats are very good at understanding intonations.....

You say "I love you"....and though the cat can not understand english...he can feel that you love him, just by your intonation and body language...

At least thats what animal scientists think.....I believe it too

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nebula11

Actually cats are very good at understanding intonations.....

You say "I love you"....and though the cat can not understand english...he can feel that you love him, just by your intonation and body language...

At least thats what animal scientists think.....I believe it too
heh...I "head-butt" my cat to say I love you, He always did that to me scince the day we got him, and now I do it too, and we sit there with our heads against each others for like a minute. lol...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

You do a long wink with one eye while they are looking right at you...

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You all are so cute! I'm sure your kitties all love you

I had a thought. When we're eating and the kitties are being bad about getting on the table, we break out this:

We fill it with all their toys that can fit in the holes and it never fails to keep them occupied, and we get a dinner show to boot!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack the thread but that is a great toy - where did you get it?

Cersiey, I hope you sort out all the issues - it sounds as if you really want to, and that is half the battle! You have a cute cat with a great personality and it is obvious you love him. Good luck.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat watching you while you eat bugs you, just put him in another room...the room that has his litter box. We normally eat at the table so the kittens run loose,but if we decide to watch a movie and put trays on the floor, we just quickly cuddle the kittens and put them in the bathroom where their litterbox is and close the door till we are done. They don't mind at all,but then they have each other. I think they actually get into less trouble since there are two of them,they don't get as bored as easily.
We let our cats up on the furniture so that is one battle I don't have to fight. We were spraying them when they'd bug our guinea pigs in the cage but it did not deter them one iota. So......we changed the cage,made it bigger and put a gate around it that has really thin bars so they can not possibly get to them. They look at them now and just switch their little tails but can't do anything. The gp doesn't seem upset by them,she just looks back.
Good Luck.
P.S. Mine are nearing four months now and (knock on wood)have not jumped onto a table or a counter yet.YIPEEE

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie tries to pull the fork away from me sometimes but it never bothers me, infact it's little antics like that that make me love them more.

Enjoy it because they don't stay kittens for long

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been away from the computer for a few days, and just now found this thread. Others have already said most of what I would have said, and most of them have used far more restraint and diplomacy than I could have, so it's a good thing for all of us that I wasn't first in line to respond.

Let me just make one comment about something you wrote. You said your kitten is not afraid of you -- that even after you squirt him, he jumps up on your lap.

Doesn't that make you feel awful? Don't you see what a sweet little soul this is, and how much he wants your affection, if he's willing to brave your abuse to get it?

You don't actually have a problem to begin with -- but if you insist on believing that you do, please handle the problem lovingly, with positive methods... not by showing unkindness to this utterly innocent creature.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow, I just read this thread! Personally I'm happy if kitty doesn't jump on the table when I eat. The only places my cat's aren't allowed is the stove b/c of safety and on the table when we are eating- and I don't even really care about that- my husband doesn't like it and I have a feeling that any guests would not be happy! It sounds like you think you can train this kitty like a dog, and you really can't. I have two cats that are/were wild like yours! I have a 2 year old who just now jumped all the way to the top of a closet shelf! No way would I spray the cat with vinegar. I think the water spray thing is only good if you surpise the cat wiht it, and you limit it to certain situations- ie to get them off the stove or counter.. I can understand why most people wouldn't let them on the counter. We used to spray Zakk b/c he liked to scratch my bed posts- it didn't take him long to learn, but I think that hissy has a point about not spraying cats with water- but i have seen it advised in soo many pet books- not that you should believe everything you read. I also think a firm no or a hand clap is sufficient in many situations, or just pusing the cat onto the ground. I only hiss at my cats if they are hurting me. I'm sure your cat will calm down with age, but you also need to adjust a bit yourself.

kitty's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cersiey

My cat Maynard is a 4 month old male cat. He is only allowed to get onto our couch and nothing more although he is constantly jumping onto all of our tables and dinningroom chairs as well as the kitchen stove, which he isn't suppose to do. And he's like a dog, when we eat he sits watching us, so we now lock him in a room or in his kaboodle. To try and stop him from doing this we have tried spraying him with water, spraying him with half vinegar and water, and spanking him and nothing works....and we no longer spank him. The scent of vinegar does not faze him abit. And as more time goes by the worse he gets. He's going to be getting fixed in 2 months and we're hopeing he'll get better at things, if not we're going to buy him a giant cage and lock him in it during our nights. I really don't want to do that but if nothing more works then there is nothing more I can do. Does anyone have any advice for me, that's permanent. As in after awhile I will not longer have to show him a spray bottle or yell at him to stop him. Please help!
Spanking won't work. That's just, at the very least, going to make your kitten live in fear of you.

Try feeding him when you eat.

I would look up the other methods this group has suggested and try them before you discount them. Your kitten sounds pretty normal...not bad.

You might also want to go to the library and look up some books on cat behavior. They have a lot of good information as well.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I'm a little late on this, but if anyone is still looking for a clicker, Petsmart sells them in small bowls by the registers.

HTH!

kali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering about the clicker - Do you just use it to make a noise the cats don't like? Does it work for a lot of people here? I'd love to stop my babies from trying to eat food off of my plate without yelling "No!" - I hate them thinking I'm mad!

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, your kitty isn't bad. He is just doing behavior you don't like.

Second, I feed my boys canned food if they persist on watching us while we eat. That way they get something they really want and leave us alone.

Third, why not get him a cat tree? That way he has something that is his he CAN climb and be up high like he wants to be. Then he should stay off the table and other things you don't want him on.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to all of those who offered their counsel here, but it looks like we are beating a subject to death without the OP coming back to the thread, so the thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.