Hcm And Flea Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mickey is going on 13, and was diagnosed with hcm in March. He's medicated, which is a challenge since he won't take pill pockets anymore, but he's okay. At last vet check kidneys were fine.

He needs a flea med, as he does spend some time in the yard and porch, and I use Revolution normally, but he hasn't had it since diagnosis.

Can a cat with hcm take Revolution? I have looked all over the Internet and can't find an answer. I don't want to kill my cat. Does anyone have information on this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nobody has a cat with heart failure - and fleas? Am I asking this question in the wrong forum?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi threecatowner threecatowner , I'm sorry you haven't received a reply to your question sooner. There certainly are members with cats with heart conditions, so hopefully someone with experience of this issue will see this thread and respond. Sometimes it can take a while on the boards, and this thread has only been up for a few hours, and in the early morning EST which is one of the less busy viewing times here. :)

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet says since he is maintaining well with his meds, Revolution will be fine.

Thanks for your kind response, pushylady... ☺

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I'm going to ask again, if anyone has used Revolution - or any flea med - on a cat with heart failure.

Mickey was doing just okay three weeks ago when he had kidney panel, and vet gave the ok for the flea med. Since I gave it to him, I have watched him go downhill day by day. Also during the past three weeks, he's been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and is newly on medication.

I have watched him fail, though, bit by bit, and I'm terrified the revolution was too much for him. I assume it would be getting out of his system, since I gave it to him Oct 12, and it's good for about a month?

The only good thing is, he's eating. But he's been pretty agitated, and my fear is I'm losing him.

I have no idea how long it takes for thyroid med to kick in, he's only gotten it for 3 days.

I know this is a late night ramble, but is there anyone out there with similar experience who can help me figure out whether I did a really bad thing by using the flea med?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will never know the answer, but will always suspect I should NOT have given Mickey the Revolution.

My kitty passed away -alone, like I think he wanted it, during the night. He would have been 13 at the end of this month.

My heart is broken. I am now Onecatowner.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this. I never saw your post.
I do not use revolution. Only advantage.
May Mickey rest in peace.
I hope he is playing on the other side with Peter. :angel:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugs:

It's so hard to say with an HCM cat as they can go downhill so quickly without any outside influences. My mother's cat had this, and wasn't feeling well, not eating, etc. We took her to the vet and she ate fine there and seemed to be on the mend, but died overnight.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
threecatowner threecatowner please don't blame yourself. It is so easy to do, and we see it so often on TCS. You gave Mickey a wonderful life and did the very best you could for him. :hugs:

The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

...RIP dear Mickey

:greenpaw: :rbheart: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.