hay for feral cat shelters?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know straw is recommended for outdoor shelters but I can get hay for free at a stable. That is what I am using but should I purchase straw? I have 2 colonies that use donated dog shelters that I need to refresh the bedding. I feed 25 cats every day so really need to curtail costs, I spend more on their food than I do for husband's.LOL!!

Karen.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hay isn't 'hollow' like straw, so doesn't insulate quite as well, but I think it is fine as long as they can burrow into it. I've seen farm cats live in hay stacks that the farmer leaves spaces in between bales, in fact I stack straw that I use for my garden with holes for the cats to use too. Then I use it for mulch in the summer so I don't have it laying around. Good luck with all your cats, I know my husband complains that I spend more on the strays and ferals around here too, then I do on him, and he's probably right! Now I buy cat food when he isn't along, that should cut down on the griping!

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go with straw. Hay turns moldy and that's why straw is recommended. I change my shelters twice a year so it doesn't cost me that much.

I too spend more on cat food then I do on our food budget.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask the stable to order a few straw bales from their hay supplier. . .they usually have it, and it's usually less than $5 for a big bale. If not, hay will work but you do have to keep an eye on it as it will mold if it gets damp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you so much for these prompt responses. I am heading to the stable now and will ask about ordering straw for me, very good idea! In the meantime, I shall replace the hay with fresh, some of it is over 6 months old as I didn't know it got moldy.

Happy and healthy new year!

Karen

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get straw for free at the local, independently run, farm and garden store. They have a huge truck filled with bales of straw, and I simply ask if I can have any straw left on the ground. I carry with me a large trash bag and explain that it is for a winter shelter for stray cats. They're happy to give it to me.
You can also buy straw at a craft store (Michaels where I live--frequently have coupons for 40% off any regularly priced item).
Note that a small amount of straw goes a long way and unless you have a HUGE cat colony, a bale of straw will last you for years. It is compressed so when the twine is cut off, it kind of explodes. My car still has some in it from four years ago..... :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure the decorative stuff at Michaels is true wheat straw. I think it's just some kind of grass. It doesn't seem hollow like straw. Anyway it's expensive. Tractor Supply Co has a compressed bale (has as much straw as a regular bale but all squished into a cube) for about $12, so that's not too bad, but it's cheaper if you get it direct from the farmer/stable supply people.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called both Tractor Supply and Agway today.TS has a compressed bale for $11.99, Agway has a bale for $7.99, they didn't say it was compressed so must be different. Been googling for any local farms that may sell straw but I did not come up with anything.  

Thanks again for your responses. I also called Alley Cat Allies, they returned my call saying they only rec straw.

Karen   

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought 2 bales of straw at Agway, the young man who loaded them into my car said I can come anytime to take the loose stuff on the loading dock where it is stored. So, anyone needing straw should check with places like Agway that store straw and ask about the loose stuff for free.

Karen