Having problems with three generations of cats.

kasmut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was wondering if anyone could help me out. So we have three cats now. The oldest is 8 yr. old Sake. She is a grump and wants nothing to do with any cat ever. I don't really blame her as she has run away about 3-4 times, gone for months at a time and probably had horrible trauma from strays during those periods.

My brother's gf recently got a feral kitten (Lenore the tortie... 3ish months old). She was brought in early (probably at 4 weeks or less) because the rest of her siblings were probably dead, and we aren't sure about the momma. She was scared/feral at first but eventually tamed down, but she hasn't learned any cat manners. She harasses Sake all day, even when Sake is sleeping and minding her own business. She thinks it is playplayplayplay all the time even though Sake tries her hardest to tell her it is NOT playtime (hissing/batting/warcry meowing/walking away). 

My first question is, what is a good way to break up these 'fights'? It's obvious Sake isn't enjoying it, but Lenore doesn't seem to be getting the picture at all. We've tried 'time-outing' (putting her in the bathroom for 5 minutes everytime she annoys sake). And just trying to distract her with other toys, but it always ends up the same way. 

Nextly, we recently brought in a feral litter of 4 cats. Within the first week or so we adopted out two and just now found the 3rd one a home. We decided to keep the fourth named Mini-Max (or just Max) he's about 8 weeks old now. We've been slowly introducing him to the living room and the 'cat area' and were keeping him and his brothers in the bedrooms during the day. Now that it is just him I have a few more questions. I feel really bad having to leave him in the bedroom now, because he is alone but whenever I let him out to explore, Lenore jumps on him (almost like she's trying to dominate him aka almost humping him and grabbing his scruff) but I think she's just playing too rough because she never learned self-control from her littermates and a momma cat. And right now Max just kinda ragdolls and lets her do whatever she wants which also includes strangling and bunny-kicking like he's some fun toy to play with. We've been trying to distract her the same, but she just goes right back to harassing. Do you guys have any advice?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some tips for breaking up cat fights when things get out of hand: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

Where sake's concerned, can you give her an area of the house that's just hers? That way she has somewhere safe to go whenever Lenore seems to be too much for her to deal with.

As for Max and Lenore, unless he's giving an indication that he's unhappy for she's clearly hurting him, he might actually be alright with her playing rough - young cats can be very rough with each other. If he's just ragdolling, he may just be a less dominant cat than her. Since he was raised with other cats, it's very likely that he'll let her know if he;s unhappy with how she's playing. He would have learned to do that with his brothers.

Hopefully something in here helps, but I'm sure some of our other members will be along soon with more suggestions.