Having a problem with cat aggression

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually I'd say it's more rudeness than aggression because it doesn't get violent but I'd still like to determine the cause. My cats Hootie and Sissy are both female and about 19 months old. When they were kittens they would play wrestle together as kittens usually do but they haven't done that in a long while. The problem that is arising is, for the past 3-4 weeks Hootie has been harassing and pestering Sissy for no reason. Sissy is a timid and mild mannered cat and mostly minds her own business. She will be napping, on the computer chair, cat tower or on the floor and Hootie will just walk up to her and start to harass her either by biting or swatting at Sissy. Sissy, being so mellow, doesn't want to wrestle or fight back so she runs away. Sometimes Hootie will chase after her or sometimes Hootie will lay down in the spot Sissy was just in. Hootie will also take over any toy Sissy tries to play with or try to steal treats when I give them some but that behavior has been present from the beginning. The pestering behavior is new. I thought maybe it was a dominance thing but I've been reading articles that say cats really don't try to establish dominance. I would chalk it up to Hootie just wanting to play wrestle with Sissy like they used to but I can tell by Hooties body language she's not intent on playing but rather intent on being pushy. 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That IS rude! lol

I'm no cat behavior expert, but I think it just sounds like they have differing personalities. When we adopted our second cat, the resident cat wanted to play really rough with him and even though he would sometimes amuse her and play with her, he mostly liked to keep to himself...he is very lazy. When we adopted our third cat, we made sure that he was playful and now him and first cat tear around the house playing ALL day and mr. lazy kitty gets to sleep. Have you considered adding another kitty that would be extra playful and mischievous? Just sayin ;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The differing personality does make sense because while Sissy is timid and mellow Hootie is extremely hyper and rambunctious lol. As for adding another cat there is a "stray" female outside that has recently adopted me haha! She has a kitten as well. The neighbor kid said she's sorta their cat, said they let her and the kitten in sometimes and feed them but I'm not sure how well they are cared for because her and the kitten are always over here now. I don't just want to take in Mom without kitten or kitten without Mom, unless the kitten gets older and leaves Mom but hub is adamant about not taking either of them in 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it sounds like maybe the strays aren't getting the best care. Even if your hubby does cave in and let you get another (they usually do with enough pestering ;-) you have to be extra careful about adding stray kitties to your clan w/o first quarantining the cat and making sure it is seen by a vet and disease free. Well, I guess that goes for adding any kitty to your household, but especially important with strays. For us, three cats is the perfect answer...anymore would be too many! Your husband will give in. Mine gave into the third cat after I showed him pictures online for like, I don't know, 6 months. He got tired of hearing it. I think he is currently counting down the days until I ask if we can get another, but I am done, lol.

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he'll give in as well, especially when it starts getting cold out! Like I said though, I wouldn't want to separate Mom and kitten until the kitten got older and I HIGHLY doubt he'd let me bring both thing for a total of four cats. I'd say the kitten is anywhere from 4-5 weeks old. It eats dry food when I put it out but it still suckles from Mom. I've already given them names hehe. I call the Mom Pepper because she is black with tan and orange peppered through her fur and I call the kitten Nugget.

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, Pepper is so heartachingly loving and sweet. I fell in love with her fast!

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've noticed though, her sides look a little big like she's maybe pregnant again.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, I love the names. That is SO sad that she might be pregnant again. If it were me (I might be flamed for this) and I was in your situation, I would just take them. Maybe then find a home for the kitten? For humans, the thought of separating from our children is crazy, but for mama and kitty, it's actually quite natural to separate at some point. More than likely, once the kitten reaches sexual maturity, it ill probably head off on it's own anyhow. If she has a 5 week old kitten and is already possibly showing signs of a new pregnancy, she is being neglected...no doubt about it. The fact that they only feed her occasionally even though she is nursing a kitten is astounding. At the rate they are caring for her, I highly doubt they would miss her. Anyone who risks having an unaltered kitty outside is already taking a huge risk of the cat just running off one day and never coming back. Let us know what happens!

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just have to wait for the hub to cave but he believes that since she's already an outside cat if we bring her in she will always want back outside and he doesn't want and indoor/outdoor cat that will bring in fleas and such.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as wanting to go outside all the time, that is DEFINETELY a possibility. Heck, even for my indoor only cats, I feel like they are happiest when outside on the balcony (I live in a condo). As far as the concern about the fleas, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Since you would have to quarantine a new kitty anyway, (preferably in a bathroom that is easy to disinfect), you could give them a good flea bath and fit them with a flea collar. That's if they actually had fleas of course. If mama kitty would let you get close enough to her, you should be able to tell if she has fleas or not. Good luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you take in the stray and find she has fleas, please do not use a flea collar or OTC flea shampoo! They can both be extremely toxic. A search here or simply online will turn up accounts of these products killing cats and dogs. There are a number of products sold by vets that are safe and effective, so why court disaster?

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard Hartz products are horrible so I would never use that but for flea I do something like Frontline drops. As for Hootie's recent ornery and rude behavior I'm wondering if it has something to do with her sensing the outside cat and getting jealous.

bad cat chris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know who says cats don't try to establish dominance but I would have to disagree. I think that is exactly what is happening. I see it too in my home but I don't concern myself with it because, in my case, nobody gets hurt and the aggression is followed by affection.

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't know who says cats don't try to establish dominance but I would have to disagree. I think that is exactly what is happening. I see it too in my home but I don't concern myself with it because, in my case, nobody gets hurt and the aggression is followed by affection.
Hmmm they are 19 months old so perhaps they are at an age to decide top cat and Hootie wants the position. I just feel bad for Sissy because she's such a sweet and mellow cat and Hootie will corner and harass her.

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep! In fact they have been getting along since yesterday, playing together and sleeping together

crazycatlady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning they are chasing each other like they used to. Hootie chases Sissy down to one end of the house and Sissy chases Hootie down to the other end haha crazy cats!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is crazycatlady111. After discussing it with Anne I went back to my old account.

jessv86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why does my 7 month old kitten gets so aggressive when we pick her up