Have you used Feliway? Please share!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far I've only used the spray. I primarly purchased the spray to help calm gizmo whenever I had to take him to the vet. I just sprayed once in the carrier a half hour before I left and it seems to have helped. He actually went in the carrier and laid down. Before, as soon as I picked up carrier he would just go crazy, this last time he was fairly calm. Gizmo is a pretty relaxed cat normally, at least in the house, so I figure the only time I'll probably use it is when I'm taking him somewhere.

powertrax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been curious to try the Feliway plug-in recently as my kitten suddenly has become quite spooked lately for some unknown reason. My question is has anyone who has had success using this product to calm their nervous/paranoid cat stopped using the product after a certain period and has the original behavior returned? I would love to try this product, but hate to have to spend $20 a month on refills. If this is somthing I could use for a couple/few months and have more permanent results that would be great. I've only read a couple posts saying that some problems reoccured when they stopped using the Feliway.

Thanks

silentrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this a week ago and plugged it into my (Hannah's) bedroom to see if it would help her stop freaking out (hissing and growling) when Casey came into the room. It's accomplished nothing so far, but the instructions say it might take as much as a month to kick in. I still have to keep my bedroom door closed 24 hours a day to prevent fights from breaking out. I'm wholly unimpressed... 65 dollars and all it does is block an outlet.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway can't solve every problem. If a problem is stress related it may make a cat sufficiently more relaxed for the problem to go away, but it can't be expected to perform miracles. I take it along to the cattery when I put mine in there and the staff say it helps them to settle quicker. I think it's good stuff but it's not a magic bullet than can solve every problem without other intervention. Sometimes it's just not enough.

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the range is about 50-70 square meters, and you can best use it in the room your cat frequents the most. Its a great product and when the problem your cat is having isnt too grave, it works wonders. OTherwise, it is still a great tool and help, but other measures have to be taken. In case of urination, i can tell you now, it is not enough( ive been there myself, had a cat that jumped on the other cat when she left the litterbox, plus she constantly tried to ambush her everywhere else aswell). Although feliway does diminish the amount of stress, it can do only that much. You have to fix what causes the stress.

Maybe you can tell us when it started and if some even triggered it. What is the relationship between your cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said that one can of Feliway might be enough, because the kitties might start getting used to each other by then.

It is still working for us. Whenever Sparkle gets agitated and hissy, I put a couple of sprays around the house (I spray the baseboards instead of the air) and it immediately calms her down.

I wish I could have introduced them properly, but Lily was a surprise Christmas gift from my husband, after I had been mourning my sweet kitty Wilde for almost two years. With relatives in the spare rooms, and being extremely busy with Christmas and cooking, etc. we just added Lily into the household... not recommended!

We are looking for a house to buy and when we move, I'm pretty sure the territory problems will be over. We had luck with doing this once before.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch