Have you tried any new foods lately?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any new foods or ingredients lately? This week I ate havarti cheese for the first time. Purchased it on a (adventurous/atypical) whim and I'm glad I did! It's like medium sharp cheddar but nicer
I don't know if I agree with Wikipedia's description - maybe I tried a certain kind.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried some also a couple months back, came in a fruit basket.
Was really good, I ate half of it in one sitting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Black beans. I didn't like them
Thats too bad because they're healthy (high in fiber)

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I haven't but I finally got my BF to eat cous cous for the first time on Tuesday
Did he like it? I like cous cous & round carrot slices cooked in broth

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm weaning myself off processed and refined foods and eating whole foods, so, I've been drinking banana and spinach smoothies. They are not that bad and you get almost your whole days worth of veggies in 1 smoothie because you stuff the blender with spinach after you put the banana in. I also add a little raw agave nectar to sweeten it.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Have you tried any new foods or ingredients lately? This week I ate havarti cheese for the first time. Purchased it on a (adventurous/atypical) whim and I'm glad I did! It's like medium sharp cheddar but nicer
I don't know if I agree with Wikipedia's description - maybe I tried a certain kind.
I love Havarti cheese. Tonight at dinner, I tried seafood chowder. It was free with any meal at the restaurant we went to for dinner. It was good, but its not something that I would choose to make or pay for.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love that cheese.

I eat a lot of unusual foods I think, at least most people I know say they are. I regularly eat payapa, tofu, fish stock, miso, seaweed, freshly roasted sesame seeds, bok choy, hot fresh peppers, fresh herbs from the garden (fresh rosemary bread is so yummy), and lots of fruits and fresh veggies of all types.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Shushi a couple weeks ago. Can't say I was impressed.

I got 3 different kinds:

1. California Roll which is apparently hugely popular. I didn't like it at all. It just tasted like fake crab salad and after 2 bites I was feeling overwhelmingly nauseated by the taste. I love crab salad, but I didn't like the combination in the Sushi.

2. Some kind of chicken one. It had a tempura batter or something on the outside. Just tasted like tempura batter to me. Out of the 3 I tried, this one was the best, but like I said, all I could taste was the batter.

3. Another type of chicken... teryiaki I think. Found that one kind of dry and only had 2 bites and threw the rest of the roll out.

The other day I ordered in Indian food. Not new to me, but something I don't have often. I had chickpea roti, curried chicken and samosas.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to learn how to cook in my crockpot. I recently made meatballs in burgandy sauce and served them over noodles with a salad. It was delicious.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Love that cheese.

I eat a lot of unusual foods I think, at least most people I know say they are. I regularly eat payapa, tofu, fish stock, miso, seaweed, freshly roasted sesame seeds, bok choy, hot fresh peppers, fresh herbs from the garden (fresh rosemary bread is so yummy), and lots of fruits and fresh veggies of all types.
I eat what many people consider "weird foods" too. Bok choy, tofu, tahini, sunflower seed cookies, lol. I'm a bit of fiber freak. Instead of beer I drink GT Synergy - It reminds me of beer! Other flavors of GT Synergy are like soda --but they're healthy

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot in my post earlier, I tried eggplant parmesan last week. It was gross and I will not be eating it again.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I eat what many people consider "weird foods" too. Bok choy, tofu, tahini, sunflower seed cookies, lol. I'm a bit of fiber freak. Instead of beer I drink GT Synergy - It reminds me of beer! Other flavors of GT Synergy are like soda --but they're healthy
These drinks are amazing........they are also raw vegan I think...
they're sooo expensive though.
I am so proud of myself of quitting soda, it's like my biggest achievement lol..I was addicted to diet coke, it was my biggest health downfall...Kombucha's helped a little for me to quit..that and pellegrino spring sparkling water.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I forgot in my post earlier, I tried eggplant parmesan last week. It was gross and I will not be eating it again.
My mom likes eggplant
I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's not that great IMO.

Originally Posted by ut0pia

These drinks are amazing........they are also raw vegan I think...
they're sooo expensive though.
I am so proud of myself of quitting soda, it's like my biggest achievement lol..I was addicted to diet coke, it was my biggest health downfall...Kombucha's helped a little for me to quit..that and pellegrino spring sparkling water.
Oh yay
I think the one called "Divine Grape" tastes like grape soda but 1,000x better!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I eat what many people consider "weird foods" too. Bok choy, tofu, tahini, sunflower seed cookies, lol.
Cool
We could have a dinner party.

I love eggplant. We grow it in the garden and I make panko crusted roasted eggplant often. Took A LOT of cheese and pasta sauce to win over the husband, more olive oil than I would have liked but he came around and is good now

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've gotten hooked on Thai food, we really love it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I haven't but I finally got my BF to eat cous cous for the first time on Tuesday
In France, the college cafeteria served couscous every...Thursday night, I think. We could get it with vegetables and either tomato sauce or tomato-pepper sauce (sauce piquante). We really learned to like it.

So...maybe you should try two more things we had on a regular basis: artichokes, and bircher.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Really? That's why they can still sell both Fords and Chevys, I guess; not everyone likes the same thing. I like eggplant parmesan, and heaven knows its better for you than chicken or veal. But I can imagine why someone trying it for the first time might not like it.

The weirdest thing we eat (or have eaten, I guess) is escargots. But I have to say, they really only taste like the garlic, herbs, and butter they are baked in. You can make a pretty good imitation, without the "yuck factor," by sauteeing button mushrooms until they're soft, then substituting them for the escargot in the recipe.