Have you started your garden yet?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I will have to hold off on planting anything.
It will rain on and off until Thurs they say.
We have heavy rain right now and they say the winds will hit 45 tonight.
I will get on the Asparagus once the rain stops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just spent about $25 on seeds

and got my tomatoes and peppers started in egg cartons! Im heading out in a little while (I think..might be a little chilly) to (finally) get some peas in. I sure hope everything grows!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$25 on seeds for veg garden-thats nothing!! I spend that just on tomato seeds.

Anyhow waayyyyy to early here in Wisconsin to put anything out!

Our garden is about 1/4 acre in size which sounds big but its easy to fill up. Plus that includes the aspargus and raspberry patches as well as the 3 hugh compost bins.

If anyone plants corn-remember fresh seeds from this year germinate best. If you have leftovers from last year, soak overnight in warm water to hasten germination.

My potatoes are sprouting like crazy. Plant small ones if you have them or cut larger ones to include "eyes" in each section and let the cut size dry out for a week or so.

I plant 3 types of potatoes, red, golds and russets. About 5 types each of peppers and tomatoes. A yellow corn for freezing and an early and later bi-color corn. Also carrots, green beans a bit of lettuce and some peas. A small amount of beets too. And basil and 2-3 types of onions and some shallots. And whatever else interest me!!

We won't plant until the end of May though. The garden hasn't been tilled yet or last years stuff completely removed.

As for asparagus one buys asparagus crown. A fairly deep trench needs to be dug before planting and slowly filled up with soil as the plants emerge. One doesn't harvest for at least 2-3 years so the plants can put on some growth. My asparagus should start in about 10 days and we harvest through July 4th. We also are lucky to have wild aspargus on our property too.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I planted lettuce, kale, broccoli, parsley, spinach and cauliflower last weekend.
The rest will be planted in a few weeks when it is warmer.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squash does great, until you get squash bugs - but they're really the only thing that bothers various types of squash.
Several years ago I had some volunteer pumpkin vines; squash vine borers got them and I had to throw 14 pumpkins in the compost!

I've thought about setting out a couple of blueberry bushes, but I haven't really decided yet.

I did a lot of planting yesterday ( a lot for me, anyway )---8 hostas, 2 azaleas, a hydrangea, a lavender, and 3 large flower pots. I still have a flat of annuals and 3 seed starter trays full of perennials that need to get their little feet in the soil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my peas, spinach, swiss chard and some of my turnips in. I still need to get more turnips, broccoli and my lettuce in. It's supposed to rain Tuesday night through to next Monday so I dont want to put anything else in because it's going to be so wet if the forecast is right. Tomatoes and peppers are started inside. I want to start my eggplants and the rest of my peppers but I'm running out of containers to start them in!