Have you seen anything like this before? *Warning graphic pictures*

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I too love the picture of the big cat grooming the house cat! It's so cool to see families who own exotics with a loving passion. The stealing food from the table pic is priceless though!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neat cat! From my understanding the Fishing cats are very difficult to domesticate, however the one pictured looks to be right at home and he's huge.

I certainly would not let him dismember a chicken in my home, regardless if it was presented to him live or not. Nor would I allow him to live catch a catfish from my tub. But that's me. What a mess.

I really doubt he needs live prey like some snakes. Asian Leopard cats in captivity, which look similar to the fishing cat, but smaller and more refined, are fed a raw diet or previously euthanized chicks.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Where does it show the cat actually killing a live chicken? I only see him with a dead chicken, so there's no way to know that they didn't give it to him already dead. (unless you can read russian and asked them)
Here is a quote from the site.....

"This Russian family does know how to keep their pet cat happy - by bathing with it and feeding it live catfish and chicken"

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful, but he is still too much cat for me to have. Different cultures have different ways of doing things, though. I wasn't really into seing it eat a live chicken, but meat does not grow on little styrofoam plates, somebody or something has to kill it. Might as well let the cat have some of its natural instincts as a predator.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cat is awesome. He certianly looks well taken care of and happy. I just can't imagine a chicken being killed in the house. The risk of spreading disease (like salmonella) seems too great.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Thats crazy!
I went to a wildlife park last week and they had a Fishing Cat, outdoors in a big enclosure where IMO an animal like that should be.

Here`s the one I saw. Having a nice snooze in the sun
wow!

stunning!

harlowquin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing the photos. I have been to Russia twice and all I could think of when looking at the photos is how wealthy the Russian family must be. Most families do not have that many rooms in their homes.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Not such a fan of the hunting pics but I LOVE the ones of him grooming the domestic. Looks like he might just lick the poor cat to death.
Is he grooming him? or tasting him?????

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the important thing is that he's a happy cat.

Preferrably I wouldn't want to clean up the blood in the end, so I would let him hunt in a fenced in area outside. course if its russia they probably need to let him do that stuff inside...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Preferrably I wouldn't want to clean up the blood in the end, so I would let him hunt in a fenced in area outside. course if its russia they probably need to let him do that stuff inside...
Go look up the live journal. There's pictures of him, outside, fishing with them.

Well... not exactly fishing, more like stealing the fish.

lucyfur007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats huge!! I wouldnt want to be the one having to mop the floors after the cat ate! Bad enough we have 2 staffies that bring in red dirt!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Sure, they might have a fantastic time with hinm - and my goodness he's gorgeous - but he's a wild animal! I'm afraid I'm against keeping wild animals as pets - but that's just me. He is super beautiful though!
I concur on all points!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

He's beautiful, but why do they have to feed him LIVE chickens?? I would be worried after he had a taste of killing live that he would go after the other family cat someday.
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Wow, what a mess to clean up. And I think it's awful that they let him kill the chicken.
Poor chicken.
I don't think it says anywhere that he killed the chicken.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I don't think it says anywhere that he killed the chicken.
It says the family feeds him live catfish and chickens. If he's eating it, we can only assume that he kills it sometime in the process.

But I agree, it's not much worse than feeding live things to snakes or going outside and killing the chicken yourself-- I'm sure the cat does snap its neck pretty early on.