Have you seen any wild animals recently?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Naturally we have raccoons and squirrels, but about 3 weeks ago there was a coyote in the middle of the street in front of our house.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well let's see, I live right beside a river so I quite often see Muskrats and Beavers swimming around. Also a very cute pair of otters. This past month or so there has been a huge snapping turtle sunning itself on of the rocks just out from the shoreline. And although I haven't seen it yet there is a raccoon hanging around that likes to poop on my deck for some reason.

If I don't get enough poop scooping with three cats now I have to scoop raccoon poop as well...lucky me.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than the usual deer, squirrels, and birds, I haven't. But my neighbor tells me he's seen silver fox in our back yards and a wolf across the street! We don't live in a rural area either. We also have copperhead snakes in the neighborhood, but I personally have only seen one once in our driveway.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Other than the usual deer, squirrels, and birds, I haven't. But my neighbor tells me he's seen silver fox in our back yards and a wolf across the street! We don't live in a rural area either. We also have copperhead snakes in the neighborhood, but I personally have only seen one once in our driveway.
A wolf? Hmmm, that doesn't seem right. I am going to guess its someone pet that got loose, or worse, got dumped when the owners realized owning a wolf is NOT the same as owning a dog.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always see wild animals

Gambel's quail, roadrunners, snakes, lizards, scorpions, black tailed jackrabbits, desert hares, desert cottontail, coyotes, Kit fox, beaver.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

A wolf? Hmmm, that doesn't seem right. I am going to guess its someone pet that got loose, or worse, got dumped when the owners realized owning a wolf is NOT the same as owning a dog.
Talking about wolves, growing up in rural Central Ontario the sound of wolves howling at night is something I grew up with, especially in the winter. It singled that the pack was hunting, it's eerie sound . About a year ago I woke around 3 a.m. and could hear just that which totally freaked me out because since moving into an urban area I hadn't heard it in years. Turns out down my street someone in a moment of complete stupidity as far as I am concerned adopted two wolf cubs as pets they had been out hiking and came accross them. Unfortunately things did not go well and when the owners cat was killed by them and a neighbors dog almost died as well.. they choose to have them put down as to dangerous to have in their home.
How
is that, wild animals are not nor will ever be pets.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Laurie that is really scary about the Momma bear and her cubs!! I think I would have to move! How do you keep them from trying to get food inside, thats what I would be thinking about.

The only wild animals I have seen are birds.
One lady further north from where we lived wound up with a bear in her kitchen. She was baking a pie. They had to put it down.

We opened the windows from the top, not the bottom, and had a/c, so didn't leave doors open (didn't even have screen doors, so that wasn't an option). And we removed the bird feeders that were out back! We started using stick-on plastic ones on the second floor windows instead.

Black bears are mostly very scared though - toss a rock in they're direction and they'll bolt (as long as the cubs aren't threatened). The garbage was really the only issue, and they changed their route to accommodate us, so we didn't have to put it out at 5:00am. We waited until around 10:00, and they'd be there within the hour.