Have you made enemies?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS is the only forum I've ever belonged to, and I'm sure there is a person or two that somehow I offended and didn't know it, but I think for the most part I dont' have any enemies............TCS is the best!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that people who do not like you do not like themselves.

They see something in you that reminds them of themselves whether it be good or bad.

Just my two cents worth!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really as a member of any boards. I've had my share of disagreements and debates but I've never really made any enemies... that is, until I became a Mod. People who break the rules don't like being called on it and on that board the rules are strict compared to some other boards. However, they are clearly stated in out agreement prior to registration.

The reason I like it there... and here it because flaming and general meaness isn't tolerated. Makes fur a much nicer place.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm also extremely arrogant - I used to have a Tshirt that read: I'm not arrogant, I'm just smarter than you are.
I think I need this T-shirt ...

Originally Posted by ddcats

I have noticed that people who do not like you do not like themselves.

They see something in you that reminds them of themselves whether it be good or bad.
A very good point, although I also think we're geared towards disliking people who are too much unlike ourselves. (Or possibly it's that those differences make it harder to understand them, and therefore we dislike them because we don't understand them.) But, definitely, a lot of times I find myself disliking someone because they're too arrogant or obnoxious, and then remembering that I'm arrogant and obnoxious.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been on the reverse side of it. Actually a bunch of us chased off a user.
It was on a computer support forum. The guy changed his story and well, basically tried to pass off that he was holier than everyone else on the board. He'd critisize, but there were so many flaws in his story that you just sat there pointing things out.

I know a person that is notoriuos for bible thumpers too. He attends an online university so his classes involve a discussion boards. At least one person in every basic class of his is all about "God this" and "God that" that he just starts flaming the guy. The sad thing is the teacher lets it happen.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

But, definitely, a lot of times I find myself disliking someone because they're too arrogant or obnoxious, and then remembering that I'm arrogant and obnoxious.
I learned a long, long time ago that this is called "projection." The more vocal a person is about disliking something, the higher the chances are that this trait or characteristic is something inherent in the complainer's makeup. Fear and denial play a big part in projectionism.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say I've made enemies, but I've definately come across people who I had issues with. Not so much here, but on another forum I'm on. Those people tend to have their own problems and use the forum as an outlet for how they'd like to act in real life.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've left other message boards under uncomfortable circumstances not of my making. I find sometimes flouncing is a lot easier on the old mental health

I've no enemies on tcs but I'm working on it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I learned a long, long time ago that this is called "projection." The more vocal a person is about disliking something, the higher the chances are that this trait or characteristic is something inherent in the complainer's makeup. Fear and denial play a big part in projectionism.
It's very true, and it's human nature. A simple example is if I think I have a big nose, I notice others with big noses... when I was pregnant, I noticed all pregnant women (something I never pay attention to otherwise).

I'm pretty sure I know why this one woman keeps following me around on the forum and attacking me... it is because I am hitting on something too close to her. I'll bet that she believes in her heart that I am right but cannot face the truth of what I am saying.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...Zissou'sMom get bonus points for using the words "prescriptivist grammar mavens" in a sentence.
I'm envious of that linguistic marvel.)[/size]
Me too! Full marks, ZM!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't participate in any other forum than TCS. I would DREAD to think that I have formed enemies from my posts and certainly don't consider anyone here as an enemy. There may have been a 'disgreement' of words once in the IMO forum that I have experienced or I may have read things I disagree with, but I certainly don't think that kind of thing gives rise to 'enemies'.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think I post often enough to make enemies
I lurk and read alot more than I post.
When I first joined there was a misunderstanding and I got annoyed at someone, but I calmed down (plus I couldn't PM to explain) and forgot about it and now I really respect them. The only member who I *ahem* found a bit too much to take has stopped posting, so all's fine and dandy in my world

Of course, the cats help

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had issues in a chatroom with a fan-based forum. There was this person who had a lot to say about the show and well they posted A LOT! They would bash this person in chat. At first I agreed with them from what little I saw. Then I decided to read all the posts this person wrote. I didn't find the post annoying or arguementative like those in the chatroom did. Finally one day I asked them what their issue really was with this person. I never got a real answer. They started to follow this person on the board and poke fun at them & post inside jokes about them. Only those in chat understood the meaning of the posts. A few were mods & knew how not to cross the line. I finally had enough and PMed the member on the board and warned them about what was happening. They told me they were on warning b/c ppl were complaining to the owner. I finally emailed the board owner and voiced my opinion. Word got out to the chat people and they banned me from chat. They had someone impersonate me in the chatroom to create a fight that would get me banned. I emailed the people wondering what was going on and they said I was harassing them. One told me they keep they saved the chats and showed everyone (but me) what was said.

I ended up bonding with this outcast on the board & a few other people who stuck by this person.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(Oh, and as an aside, Zissou'sMom get bonus points for using the words "prescriptivist grammar mavens" in a sentence.
I'm envious of that linguistic marvel.)
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Me too! Full marks, ZM!
Ha! Thank you
In research seminar today we had quite the little discussion about the mavens of the world. The prof said a stopped watch is right twice a day.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys want to try the teenage horse forums - They get really nasty sometimes. Most of the time, it's seperated into the horse owners and the riders (but not majorly) however all you need is the wrong topic to get a few people and WW3 breaks out.

The one I'm a mod on though is really lovely, we have very little trouble and what we do is cleared up pretty quick.