Have You Guys Had Close Calls With Your Cats Almost Getting Injured?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im so relieved that my cats are okay today.

My cats know the one place they are not allowed on is the kitchen counter. Today my cat Elsa jumped up and almost stepped on a knife. I yelled, and pushed her away from the knife, and she jumped down, and i quickly grabbed the knife to put it away. But ended up knocking it down. My other cat, Kitty, was right next to me, the handle knocked on her and fell to the ground.

the knife fell so fast i didnt have time to react. thankfully, she seems fine, but i feel horrible that she could have gotten seriously hurt. ='( I gently checked her all over, and rubbed my hands all over her and she seems fine. She even gave me affection right after. Shes playing in the living room acting normal.

I feel like the biggest jerk. have you guys been in situations like this? :(

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost ran over two of my cats. Tiger and Muffin were brother and sister. One morning when I was backing out of my driveway I just did see Tiger in time and was able to stop before I backed over him. He was just a feral kitten at the time.

One morning I was going to the store and for some reason Muffin just popped into my mind. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Muffin running across the street in front of me. Again I was able to stop in time to avoid running over her. The older she got the more she stayed inside. She lived to be the ripe old age of 18 years.
I would have been a basket case had I cause the death of one of my cats.

Muffy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost ran over two of my cats. Tiger and Muffin were brother and sister. One morning when I was backing out of my driveway I just did see Tiger in time and was able to stop before I backed over him. He was just a feral kitten at the time.

One morning I was going to the store and for some reason Muffin just popped into my mind. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Muffin running across the street in front of me. Again I was able to stop in time to avoid running over her. The older she got the more she stayed inside. She lived to be the ripe old age of 18 years.
I would have been a basket case had I cause the death of one of my cats.

Muffy
Thank you for responding! It makes me feel less alone in my guilt. :hugs:

I completely agree, i would be devastated to be the cause of the death of one of my cats. They're a family member to me. Although I am sorry shes gone, I am glad Muffin had a long life. =)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight my feral colony was being attacked by a dog. My neighbor helped me get the dog and move it to the apartments next door where we think it lives. I don't think any of my cats were hurt. But one of my cats did not show up for food today. I am worried about him. There was a dead cat (not one of mine) by the fence last week. Some people train their dogs to kill cats. And at the apartments next door people let their dogs run around loose. I am very stressed out about this dog coming back.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight my feral colony was being attacked by a dog. My neighbor helped me get the dog and move it to the apartments next door where we think it lives. I don't think any of my cats were hurt. But one of my cats did not show up for food today. I am worried about him. There was a dead cat (not one of mine) by the fence last week. Some people train their dogs to kill cats. And at the apartments next door people let their dogs run around loose. I am very stressed out about this dog coming back.
im very sorry you are going through this. do you have an enclosed yard? there are ways to keep cats in a yard. but that would limit where they can go.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im very sorry you are going through this. do you have an enclosed yard? there are ways to keep cats in a yard. but that would limit where they can go.
No, I live in an apartment and I don't have a patio. The dog showed up again and thankfully the security guard was able to take him away for me.

persianorapplauding

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if looks could kill......i was so extremely vexed and tormented by one such cat on one such day i almost achieved spontaneous combustion by the Gaul of him so much the proud he did so look for that obvious deliberate 'present' he left somewhere for me to put my foot right into it but not so much suspecting the odious foe within as nobody would ever be suspicious of a fluffy slipper would they as that cat jolly well knew and golly gosh as for HOW he did so put it there i'll never know and thats a fact but when that big toe feeling says that something is amiss and as spectators go the most obvious keen interested party being also grinning like a cheshire cat staring directly at me and dash it all i lost my temper a bit and almost injured mi cat when a couple of laser beams came straight out my eyes ....i looked away quickly and scorched the edge of the kitchen sideboard. he was not perturbed

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are laws in most states/cities about loose dogs. Call your local shelter, or the police/sheriff, and report a dog on the loose that is bothering people and pets. Keep calling until they become annoyed and do something about it. Our fines are strict enough that most people only let them loose once!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are laws in most states/ Iabout loose dogs. Call your local shelter, or the police/sheriff, and report a dog on the loose that is bothering people and pets. Keep calling until they become annoyed and do something about it. Our fines are strict enough that most people only let them loose once!
The security guard may be able to train him and find him a home. So I am happy about that. If he goes to the city he will be put down. So it worked out well. I am thinking about calling animal control about the complex next door. I am just waivering because it's not the dogs fault that they have rotton owners. They don't deserve to die. But on the other hand, this is a constant problem with dogs coming over and sometimes maiming or killing cats. It's not like they just get a fine, the dogs get the death sentence. I am perplexed. Updated, I just made a report.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a dog kills another domestic animal, there is just one step away from maiming a child. They do not have the control that most do. Rotten owners need to keep a vicious dog from the public or the dog should be taken away. I had a cat killed in his own yard by a dog that went on to viciously maim another neighbor's little terrier ( to the tune of 3000.00 worth of vet bills), and then went on to bite the neighbors two year old granddaughter in the face. This isn't a one time incident, I have witnessed it time and time again. They do deserve to die if they kill and maim, it cannot be reversed and just moving them to another neighborhood just passes on the problem. If you feel that a killer dog should remain alive, then they should NEVER be allowed to run free, the risk is too great.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I am just worried about the nice dogs that may get put down because I made a report. But in the end, I care about the safety of the cats in my care more. Animal control might not even show up.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you have an animal control! No animal should be just let loose to roam and get into trouble, your innocent cats should not be exposed to such trouble in their own yard. I hope your little ones remain safe, all the luck!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you have an animal control! No animal should be just let loose to roam and get into trouble, your innocent cats should not be exposed to such trouble in their own yard. I hope your little ones remain safe, all the luck!
Thanks, I don't have a yard. I live in an apartment. I take care of a colony of about twenty mostly tame cats. It's been a challenge. There are so many people who hate cats.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I don't have a yard. I live in an apartment. I take care of a colony of about twenty mostly tame cats. It's been a challenge. There are so many people who hate cats.
i know. people see them as a nuisance. to be honest, i used to hate cats as well, would get annoyed that they made such a mess in my yard. ended up falling in love with a cat, and changed my mind. lol family members that never liked cats ended up loving cats because of Kitty. :crazy: my niece even adopted an abandoned kitten after i adopted my cat.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. Right after we got the big cat tree, Sophie was playing with a toy that was attached to it with an elastic cord. Lilith was on the next platform watching. I was in the living room a couple of feet away but not looking at them. I heard Lilith start hissing. It got louder. I thought they were having an argument or something. I turned to look and Lilith's back was arched and she looked ready to attack. I ran over there and Sophie started crying. The elastic cord had gotten wrapped around her foot and she could not get it loose. Lilith was getting ready to attack the cord to defend her sister. I cut the cord and Sophie's foot came loose. She ran off to hide behind the TV with Lilith right behind her. As soon as she calmed down, she went back over to the tree and I got yelled at because the toy was gone. :doh: :dunno: :rolleyes2:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Right after we got the big cat tree, Sophie was playing with a toy that was attached to it with an elastic cord. Lilith was on the next platform watching. I was in the living room a couple of feet away but not looking at them. I heard Lilith start hissing. It got louder. I thought they were having an argument or something. I turned to look and Lilith's back was arched and she looked ready to attack. I ran over there and Sophie started crying. The elastic cord had gotten wrapped around her foot and she could not get it loose. Lilith was getting ready to attack the cord to defend her sister. I cut the cord and Sophie's foot came loose. She ran off to hide behind the TV with Lilith right behind her. As soon as she calmed down, she went back over to the tree and I got yelled at because the toy was gone. :doh: :dunno: :rolleyes2:
:flail:we'll never win with cats will we?
im glad you heard them, it might have gotten tighter on her foot if they tried to pull it off. :cringe:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry when I step on my old cat's tail. I have also dropped her a couple of time because she's so light. Shes squirmy and so fragile I'm afraid I'll crush her if I hold her. Her tail has majorly thinned out and half her fur on her tail is gone. Still jumps on the counter! And does not show any signs of pain

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry when I step on my old cat's tail. I have also dropped her a couple of time because she's so light. Shes squirmy and so fragile I'm afraid I'll crush her if I hold her. Her tail has majorly thinned out and half her fur on her tail is gone. Still jumps on the counter! And does not show any signs of pain
my cat does the same, always gets tangled in peoples feet and gets stepped on. never stops lol