Have you got a Claim to Fame

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my youth I was a highly ranked synchronized swimmer. This sport did not get inducted into the Olympics till 1984 - so I missed it (although we had world competitions)

I had a rock star bf for a few months...but I dont want to name names

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got to talk to author R.A. Salvatore (famous for his Forgotten Realms books among others - he also wrote the novelization for Star Wars Episode 2) when he visited my school a few years ago - he even gave me his email address!

A close friend of mine (we grew up together) is good friends with Clint Dempsey of the New England Revolution and the U.S. World Cup team - my brother got to go to Schlitterbahn with him and they have photos together.

Um....Apparently Patrick Dempsey has a lakehouse on the same lake as my parents. He showed up once at the emergency room at the hospital where my parents work with his daughter and only one nurse recognized who he was.
Every time we're on the lake every wants to know which house is his!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well lets see........... I went to school with Charles Barkley ..........he was a few years older.

I was in a TV commercial for a local restaurant when I was in my early 20's. (so was Jim and several other friends). I was on a local TV show as a kid, Sergeant Jack.

I think thats about it. I havent been famous since my early 20's

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SwampWitch, I am impressed. I LOVE Junior Brown. I saw him live in Kansas City, and watching him play is amazing! My SO's brother is a studio musician in Nashville, and he heard somewhere that JB was a real jerk. Tell me it ain't so!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin is James Godwin from "The United" (really popular band around here).
(he's the bass player)

I also know Joey from Egypt Central. I've been awesome friends with him for quite a long time. He even jumped off stage one night when I was working on of the sound booths one night and some drunk idiot wouldn't leave me and some other girls alone- he was grabbing us and essentially scaring the devil out of us. Joey got him off me and the security guards kicked the looser out
(I was a music industry major for years and hung out at The NEw Daisy just about every night recording and running shows
).

I also know Josey Scott from Saliva on first name basis and have hung out with him quite a few times in downtown memphis at the MRC studio. He's a very old and very dear friend.

I also am good friends with Justin from Breaking Point- i got to lay tracks with their producer several times when they recorded some stuff at MRC. It was freakin awesome!!!!!!!
Justin is probably my favorite out of them all
I got to help work on their remake of "Just What I Needed" It was amazing.

I used to date drummer Evan Wilons from "Further Down" we were together for quite a while
He's a good guy. And he's an amazing drummer. He is a studio drummer for Ardent Records (we all love Pete Matthews!!!!
) and he is also endorsed by Brady Drums out of Australia.

Lets see.....Wayne LeeLoy was my intro to music industry teacher at the U of M - talk about a cool person!!!! - we had different guest in there every single week- as a result, i got an interniship with LiveFromMemphis and many other cool opportunities to really persue my field of interest. I had the chance to meet tons of cool producers and engineers and lots of lyracists (including one who wrote some stuff for Garth Brooks) and lots of just really neat people that are essential to the music world. (My main area of focus was Rock/Punk/Alternative....but i also got to meet people in other generas)

The list goes on
I was a music industry (recording tech/production engineering) major for several years. For quite a few of those years i basically lived at the studios and venues recording shows and mingling with the musicians. I know a lot of people as a result of that
My cousin's band is always opening for Egypt Central and Saliva when they're in town so i know every person in those bands and get along great with them all

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

SwampWitch, I am impressed. I LOVE Junior Brown. I saw him live in Kansas City, and watching him play is amazing! My SO's brother is a studio musician in Nashville, and he heard somewhere that JB was a real jerk. Tell me it ain't so!
It ain't so! He's a super-nice guy. He had severe back problems years ago - maybe someone got the wrong impression because he was in pain, or short-tempered because of the pain. Really nice guy, funny, smart, has lived through a lot. The only reason I broke up with him was because I was married at the time to my first husband (that's another story). I'm glad Junior's happily married now, and he had back surgery and it's better. He's done the music for some SpongeBobs, TV cameos, and commercials. He's a brilliant musician, I agree, and lots of fun to watch. I'm partial to this song:

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My main claim to fame is that I know someone who personally knew/knows John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr. He worked at the most major music distributor (forget which one) in the U.S in the 70's and 80's and knew them because he worked in the recording studios. He was also a neighbour to George Harrison when they both lived in Hawaii and they were good friends. I was literally floored when I heard this because I am a HUGE Beatles fan.

I know quite a few local music artists as well, a few of which have played or sang internationally. One who is an organist has played for The Pope and sat in the Popemobile

As for myself I've been on TV numerous times with the choir that I'm a member of. Recently we were on the radio for the first time.

I met Robert Bateman, he's the artist who does those wonderfully real animal paintings.

And the last one I can think of is that my uncle lived beside Robin Williams, but they never met.